Clear all

REALLY (probably) stupid question

13 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@snwbrdnegtrst)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I live in an apartment and work kinda weird hours. I try to get some practice in everyday, but sometimes I can't get to the guitar until 9:30-10pm... I really want to practice, but I'm concerned about bothering my neighbors (did I mention I work where I live? :oops: ) I've been practicing playing with as gentle a touch as I can on my right hand, but it sure would be easier if there was some way to mute the sound that I get from my guitar without completely changing the sound I get from it.
Anyone with any tips for me? My wife(who is a cellist) just laughs at me because she owns a practice mute that attaches to her bridge for just such a situation(I've even seen pictures of people clipping a clothes pin to the bridge). Is there a similar product for guitarists?
-PS, it's times like these I wish I had an electric...

All the world's a stage, but the play is poorly cast

(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Im thinking act on that wish.. :D Pick up a electric and amp with headphones.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I feel for ya. I recently moved from a house I owned. there I felt complete freedom to play my guitar anytime w/o worry about neighbors complaining. it was good.
I had to rent an apartment while I looked for my next house. during that time in the apartment I felt totally inhibited; worried about sound leakage. I had a friend play my guitar, acoustic, while I walked the common hallway. I could barely hear the guitar. yet, despite this knowledge I still felt inhibited.
unfortunately I don't have an answer for you.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@rr191)
Trusted Member

You can try a Feedback Buster for an acoustic guitar. Its a rubber(?) disk that fits in the sound hole. It may help reduce the volume of your guitar.

-- Rob

ReplyQuote
(@bkangel)
Estimable Member

This is a very GOOD question!

I have the same problem: don't get to practice until the later hours or else it would be 6 in the morning. Either way, not neighbour friendly.

The feedback buster sounds interesting. Now, if I can find one for my mouth, so I can practice singing as well (where my vocal qualities lack in other areas, loudness is not one of them :lol: ).

What I lack in talent and natural ability, I will have to make up with stubborness.

ReplyQuote
(@snwbrdnegtrst)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Rob,
I have seen those advertised at GC.... I guess for $20-30 its worth finding out. I'm glad I'm not the only neighbor conscious person out there!
Any other ideas guys? Keep em coming

All the world's a stage, but the play is poorly cast

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

I do amp with headphones.....simple fix

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

The feedback buster sounds interesting. Now, if I can find one for my mouth, so I can practice singing as well (where my vocal qualities lack in other areas, loudness is not one of them :lol: ).
LOL!!!!!!!!! :lol: I like that. :D

Same thing here... I need to work on my singing also, but the familey does not realy support my music hobby.... so I sing quitly or not at all... The playing parts not bad, becouse I have a pretty big house, and the accustic is not to loud, or I can play my electric in the music room in the celler [not to loud after the kiddies are in bed though]

Paul B

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

This going to sound silly, but- play very quietly.

I spent a few months last autumn in Myanmar, with only my travel guitar to keep me company in my hotel room. Hotel walls are none too thick, either. I found, though, that I could play, any time of night, as long as I consciously strummed or picked very softly.

The funny thing is, learning to do it with minimal movements and sound was really good for my technique. If you can play a riff quiet and in time, doing it loud is EASY.

Just a thought,

Ande

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

I do 95% of my playing on an unplugged electric guitar. No one can hear me outside the room.

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

Ande is right...

other possible ideas...mute strings either by hand if your good enough or by other means....I've been known to stuff a (clean) sock under the strings just in front of the bridge.

theoretically if you stuffed either paper or material into the body of an acoustic (DON'T BTW) then it will cease to work 'acoustically'.

anything that is soft and absorbant touching strings will soak up the vibes that produce sound....as with most guitar related questions....try it and if it works for you then it is right :roll:

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
(@brentb)
Eminent Member

I tried amp headphones on a Takimine acoustic-electric and it didn't work well?

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

YOu probably needed to do something to kill the acoustic sound too?

In extreme scenarios I've been known to put a rubber band on the strings, near the bridge- mutes plenty. (The fabric covered ones designed for hair are best.)

Ande

ReplyQuote