Clear all

Recommended artists

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@charvey)
Topic starter  

Hiya,

I'm very new to playing the guitar (acoustic). I've never had any lessons or read any books (I play lots of other musical instruments though so I've got a basic idea of the theory for guitar) - I just buy sheet music I reckon I can play and enjoy teaching myself and playing it to relax. The thing is, I'm very picky about what I like playing. I don't like anything with too many strummed chords... I'm just after what I think sounds nicest and gives me a good challenge and that is rich sounding, fast, rippling finger picked notes. The only artist I've come across that really gives me this is Eva Cassidy (e.g. Autumn Leaves, Over the Rainbow, Early Morning Rain, etc.) and I've just about worked my way through her song books now, and I'm looking for more! I was hoping somebody could recomend me some artists with a similiar style?

Also (sorry to post 2 questions in 1 topic but this is meant to be a quick question!), I've good a really cheap acoustic guitar at the moment and I want to upgrade it to something better. I'm looking at buying a 12 string acoustic. I've read that it really enhances the type of music I enjoy playing. Is this right and do you think this would be a good idea for a relative beginner?

Thanks very much,
Chris

(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

I'd suggest going to a store and trying out some 12 strings, it's your opinion that matters and that's the only way to be sure!
You might like Jack Johnson, a more jazzy type of fingerstyle, Norah Jones, Katie Melua, Joni Mitchell perhaps? (trying to think of female singeracoustic players)
Oh and welcome to GN :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@uno-pulgar)
Trusted Member

Not being familiar with Eva Cassidy, I went to Amazon and listened to some samples. I would suggest looking into some of the artist that she covers-Paul Simon, Sting. Also Jim Corce came to my mind and maybe some early Van Morrison or Later Van Since he's constantly jumping from one style to another and back again. As far as 12 string players you might check Robert Junior Lockwood or Robert Lockwood Jr, depending on who you're asking.

Avatar- Correy Harris 8/12/2006 Heritage Music Blues fest, Wheeling WVa

ReplyQuote
(@charvey)
Topic starter  

Hey thanks for your replies. I think I'll be doing the same now on Amazo and listening to these artists.

Thanks again,
Chris

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

If you love fingerpicked acoustic, don't forget James Taylor. :wink:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@bennett)
Reputable Member

Hi Charvey,

You might want to check out Kirk L'orange's fingerpicking lessons over at Guitar for Beginners & Beyond.

Not that I think you will necessarily need the lessons as such, but rather that it may give you a heap of ideas of tunes that sound great fingerpicked. And Kirk has provided heaps of different ones. In fact, his most recent addition is "Over the Rainbow". :)

Definitely worth checking out.

Good luck!

From little things big things grow - Paul Kelly

ReplyQuote