Skip to content
repetitive rock dow...

Notifications
Clear all

repetitive rock down strokes...how do they do it?

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@scatterbrain1234)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

an example of this would be "everlong" by the foo-fighters and some songs by the strokes where there's that particular fast-paced repetitive down-stroke strum. is this mainly all in the wrist just like regular strumming? i also noticed when guitarists strum this way, most tend to extend their middle fingers, third fingers, and their pinkies. by the way, is there a name for this particular strum? thanks for reading!

(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

yeah, its called the downstroke. Johnny Ramone basically invented it, you dont use your wrist as much, but you do use it. If you can get some footage of johnny ramone, itll show you.

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@jadiny)
Estimable Member

yeh gud question i noticed dat 2. u like the strokes cool

Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions small people always do that, but the really great ones make you feel that you too, can become great.

--Mark Twain

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

Take's practice, it's all in the way your right hand fingers interact with the wrist, its really not complicated at all, Everlong is played with very very very repetitive down strokes. That's all it is, keep usin the down stroke, when u first start tryin it your wrist will get sore rather quickly, but after time it will get stronger and u can go for longer. If u want some other material with the same sort of style, look at some of the Billy Talent songs.

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@scatterbrain1234)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

thanks for the tips!

ReplyQuote
(@psychonik)
Reputable Member

if your wrist starts getting sore then stop immediately and pick it slower. I cant stress enough the fact that its so easy to get carporel tunnel that way. Trust me on this one... CT is NOT FUN. I couldnt even write for 2 weeks without wanting to be rid of my hand.
use about equal effort in your wrist and elbow... more of a turning with the wrist and a lifting with the elbow.. but make sure your shoulder isnt tense... and stretch your arm and wrist out before you start doing this.

to stretch your arm and wrist... etend your arm palm up...bend your hand down at the wrist with your other hand until you feel a slight stretching... hold this for 10 seconds and do it again. you should do this with both hands.

ReplyQuote