Notifications
Clear all

Trouble w/ Open C chord

16 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@trojanman48)
Topic starter  

Ok, I've had a guitar for quite sometime, and I've finally decided to really sit down and learn. I've been messing around with chords and such, and I've learned the open G and D, along with Em. I also know C, but I cannot for the life of me finger the chord well. I always have a dead string somewhere. I use the normal ring, middle, pointer fingering. I also move to the C chord terribly slow and I can't break through that. Can anyone give me some tips on the fingering and switching to the C? Thanks!

(@rsadler)
Reputable Member

I had that problem with many chords, and still do with some here and there. What I found to help me was first to keep my nails as short as I could stand it, and make sure each finger is as close to perpindicular as possible. Then I would pluck each individual string, and adjust each finger one at a time until it stopped touching, then move to the next string.

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

It is pure repetition and muscle memory.

This may help when you have a chord giving you trouble...form the chord and play it (ignore buzzing-it will go away later on)...tighten your finger muscles while in that chord, let your fingers get used to that chord shape. Give it a strum or 2 and then lift your fingers up and put them right back down. Repeat this many times and then do it without looking. Give your finger muscles a chance to know that chord shape. When you are comfortable there and lifting up and back down, then work on switching. Make it easy...first 'walk' into it by finding the second string first with your index finger and let the other 2 fingers walk into the chord. This is slower but when you can find that second string without looking and can walk the rest into place, you are even closer to forming the whole chord at once.

Practice is cumulative. The more you do it, then faster you will get good at it.

Another thing that helps me learn a new chord....I look for another chord I know and can leave a finger down and slide into the new chord. Whenever you leave can a finger down that has that common finger and string in the new chord, you learn the new chord way faster, even if you have to slide that finger up or down a fret or 2. :D

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member

"... make sure each finger is as close to perpindicular as possible"

Very good advise!

A far as changing chords is concerned, I use middle + ring for Em.

For Em -> G
Use the middle as a pivot, and plant the ring and pinky on E and E.

Using this fingering, switching to C is easy as the index is already free and hovering over B.

Initially, practice the swtiching very slowly and try to visualize the structure of the chord in you head as you put your fingers down. When you do put the fingers down, ensure the distal joints are aways bent.

source
http://www.guitarprinciples.com/Guitar_Technique/left%20hand%20shots.htm

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

ReplyQuote
(@waltaja)
Estimable Member

when i'm playing a song that switches from G to C or C to G i finger the G chord with my ring finger on E my middle finger on A and my pinky on e. it helps me switch to the open C alot easier than the "normal" G fingering

"I got a woman, stay drunk all the time!"

-Led Zeppelin-

ReplyQuote
(@slowfingers)
Trusted Member

Oddly enough, C is one of the chords I have little trouble fingering. D, A, and F give me fits, though (especially F).

Seagull M6 Gloss

ReplyQuote
(@epiphoneisgibson)
Eminent Member

what i did was i figured out a chord progression with all the chords i had trouble with and played that constantly till my fingers hurt and i remeber it like the back of my hand

happiness is a warm poppy

ReplyQuote
(@trojanman48)
Topic starter  

Wow, I got quite a response.

Thanks for all the help guys. I will definitely try out ya'lls suggestions. I guess my fingers will become stronger as I work on the chords and play more often. I do have a question though. I don't really understand what you mean by keep your fingers perpendicular. Do you mean perpendicular to the neck? As in bent at the middle knuckle? I can definitely work on that, but I'm at a disadvantage I think with shorter, fatter fingers. :( Also....is the middle, ring, pinky fingering of G a better way when it comes to switching chords? Thanks again guys, I'm learning piece by piece.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Your fingertip from the last nuckle should come as strait as possible down onto the string.If it is at an angle it is more likely to mute the adjacent string.

ReplyQuote
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member

Take a look at the link I have posted.
The closest finger joint to the finger tip should be perpendicular.

" I think with shorter, fatter fingers"

Dude everyone has their share of shortcomings.
I for one, can't tell when my guitar goes out of tune.
You just have to practice a bit more, thats all.

I think, fingering is often dictated by the chord you are on and the chords you will be changing to. As a general rule of thumb, you should try both variations
(middle, ring, pinky as well as index, middle, ring). My teacher forced me to use the first form as it strengthens the pinky.

ReplyQuote
(@trojanman48)
Topic starter  

GoodVicHunting: I know everyone has their shortcomings. I'm not making excuses, just pointing out a fact. As I was looking over all the posts, I totally missed your link. I guess it was because it was at the bottom. Everything is much clearer now, thank you!

ReplyQuote
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member

Sorry if it sounded harsh, didn't mean it at all, it was supposed to be encouraging. :)

Cheers

ReplyQuote
(@painthorses)
Eminent Member

Try just fingering the chords with out strumming . I went from G to C and back and forth SLOWLY, with out strumming many many many times, It will help with muscle memory, watch your fingers make the moves and concentrate totally on moving them.

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

The first drill I learned was to play G, C, mini barr F and back up again. I played this until I was sick of it. Now I can do it without thinking. I use it for a warm up exercise now.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@gizzy)
Estimable Member

I find the same as another person said keep your nails as short as you can go and it will help alot.

:D

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2