Clear all

right hand position

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@tyler)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I'm looking for opinions on right hand (picking) hand position, when picking out notes, not just strumming. I've seen some players with their hand totally free of the guitar, some rest their pinky or ring finger (or both) on the pickguard, and some rest the heel of their hand just behind the bridge.

My guitar teacher is telling me that I should rest the heel of my hand behind the bridge cause it gives you the most stability but I don't have as big hands as him and find it hard to find a postion that lets me reach all the strings easily. Also, if this is the habit I develop then that means I'll always be picking a couple inches above the bridge and I've seen lots of players vary where they're strumming the strings (i.e. close to the bridge or up higher over the neck pickup) to vary the sound.

Is this one of those things that has a right way & wrong way or is it just personal preference? Am I correct in thinking that it's an advantage to be able to vary where you hit the strings?

Thanks for the advice.

(@matteo)
Honorable Member

hi mate

i'm not that good in picking up single notes except if I play the root of a chord or simple things like that, but particullary with electric guitar I tend to rest the right hand more or less on the bridge of the guitar. This way it is also possible to fastly alternate between muted and unmuted notes (very common technique in hard rock).

So i second your teacher suggestions. Regarding your worries I do not think that the hand size matters in this case, I guess that with a bit of excercise you should be able to do it.

Cheers

Matteo

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

some players have a floating right hand and some have it anchored. either way is fine.
I anchor my hand. it rests on the bridge. very lightly most times. I use my right hand to mute and damp the sustain of the strings.
I flat pick and rock lead pick that way. I play my lap steel that way too.
when I am strumming I do play tend to play further away from the bridge.
it is important, I think , to varying your techniques to what you are playing.
where one picks does change the tone and character of the notes.
sometimes I enjoy picking right up against the bridge. that poor string is stressed, but I get some awesome tones.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

I don't know what type of guitar you're using or what style he's teaching you, but I can tell you that that position, however suitable for his particular playing method/style, is very restricting in the wider world of guitar technique. You've identified some of the problems yourself, such as only being able to play next to the bridge, with its 'treble only' tone.
Another limitation is in the angle of attack of the finger on the string being less than optimal for a wide range of effects.
As I said, it may work fine for whichever style he's teaching you but for other styles, it will be a handicap.
Look at a variety of great guitarists on You Tube, including classical, flamenco, country, folk, etc. Notice how certain styles favour certain positions. There are obviously valid reasons for that.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

We had a thread on anchoring a few months back...

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote