Clear all

Right Hand Scale Technique

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@twisted_man)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Currently, when doing scales i only use my index finger to pluck the strings. Should i be using all my fingers, assigning them to an individual string?

(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

You can start of plucking with just your index and thumb. Its up to you if you want to use the others in the future. If you play classical guitar, you should start pracitcing w/ all five fingers now.

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@sparrow-aka-honor-roller)
Trusted Member

from what my teacher told me (and books i've read), you don't generally use the pinky especially as a beginner, so its four fingers. And generally your thumb is assigned to the three bass strings, index to third, middle to 2nd, and ring to 1st. However, this is not dedicated. Basically your three fingers are assigned to those strings at the start, while playing the same string you alternate between fingers, the easily recognizable walking. When i'd play major scale i would play 3rd string i,m,i 2nd string m,i, and 1st string m,i. But you'd want to check with someone more knowledgeable than me about using the ring on the first string as well as the thumb on the bass strings. I use all thumb at the moment for bass strings which i assume is wrong, so maybe someone could clarify. Maybe you don't use the thumb at all for that exercise.

ReplyQuote