Clear all

Vibrato

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@twisted_man)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I heard you need a whammy bar to do this. I dont have one. How do i do a vibrato.

(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

You absolutely DO NOT need a whammy bar. The best vibratos in the business come from players who never use whammies (B.B. King, Eric Clapton ect...).

There are many ways to vibrato. To start off, you just play a note and while that note is ringing out, bend the string up and down on the fretboard (using your index finger to start). Practice it with all your fingers after you get the gist.

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Have you tried fingering a note and just vibrating your hand with kind of a shaking motion. Your really don't have to move the string (or note) very far to acieve the technique. It mainly just takes practice. One of my favorite things to do is when I'm doing say a bar chord I'll pull and release the note that's under my index finger or sometimes I'll do this with the whole chord.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

When I do the vibrato described by Joe on my acoustic guitars, the vibrato is clearly hearable but when I do it on my electric I get a very small vibraton.
Could it be that the electric has lower string hight and softer strings (0.09) compared to acoustics higher string hight and harder strings (0.12) ?
To get any vibration on the electric I need to hold the pressing finger very close to the fret and rotate the wrist very much.

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

IMHO this is one of the best explanations, from the Fender Player's Club - http://www.fenderplayersclub.com/pdfs/lessons/vibrato.pdf - includes audio examples, too!

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

If you play with a light touch you can also achieve a nice vibrato by just increasing and decreasing the pressure on the finger that is fretting the note. No need to bend the strings up and down at all. You are actually bending them in (towards the fret board) slightly.

What has been giving me fits lately is a vibrato at the end of a full step bend.

Mike

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

Teleplayer 324 posted an excellent video a while ago, where BB King expalins how he does it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRFceS16Aok&search=Guitar .

Priceless 8)

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

When I do the vibrato described by Joe on my acoustic guitars, the vibrato is clearly hearable but when I do it on my electric I get a very small vibraton.
Could it be that the electric has lower string hight and softer strings (0.09) compared to acoustics higher string hight and harder strings (0.12) ?
To get any vibration on the electric I need to hold the pressing finger very close to the fret and rotate the wrist very much.

Yes, it needs a bit more work on an electric. I've seen guitarists playing live who are waving their arms around like traffic cops and it's made no audible difference to the note, so it's worth working at.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote