Clear all

Rolling the chord

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I'm having a hard time with rolling the chord....I don't know if it's finger dexterity or coordination or what.

I can do it when I'm playing in time most of the time, but when I want to practice it, because it's not quite where it should be I can't do it. That seems backward. Maybe I'm thinking too hard?

Is there any specific exercises that anyone can point me to that would help?

I'm working on Waltz in C by Ferdinando Carulli, and while there isn't a roll there, to end the song it sounds pretty neat. Like I said, I can do it in time, but it doesn't sound as crisp as I think it should.

Thanks!!!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I'm not sure what you mean by rolling the chord - are you talking about rolling your fingers to the next chord in a change, or getting a quasi arpi (shown in standard notation by a vertical squiggly line in front of the chord)

If it's the first meaning, I'd practice arpeggios - many of them will roll a finger across strings. If it's the second, the trick to it is to place all your right hand fingers, then 'peel' them off the strings - it's the same sort of motion your hand would make if you were tearing a piece of paper... the thumb moves away from you first, followed by the fingers in order.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

The semi-arpeggio is what I was talking about. I tried to search for it but all I came up with was arpeggio (the slow form).

Rolling the chord is the only term I could find for it. But thanks for the tips, I'll have to try that...I guess when I do it I'm kind of rolling my hand down un conciously....I don't know, cause when I think about it I can't do it LOL.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote