Clear all

Scale length - what is the deal?

12 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hello everyone... I feel that I'm fairly knowledgable about guitars, but one concept I've failed to understand is the idea of scale length... what is the difference between different scale lengths? I understand that the scale length comes from the distance from the nut to the saddle, but what does the difference affect?

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I don't think it affects as much as some think, but I'm pretty flexible about most things.

The main thing it affects is string tension. A given string tuned up to the same pitch has to be pulled tighter on a longer scale length. So it'll feel stiffer and harder to bend.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

There's the obvious size aspect - shorter scale means smaller space between frets which some people find more comfortable. There's a trade-off between less stretching for stretchy chords against fitting all your fingers in for some chords (like A) where all the fingers are positioned close together.

There's also tension. A basic note (ie, not a harmonic etc) is determined by a comination of the gauge of the string, the tension (hence tuning works) and length (hence fretting increases the pitch). If you increase the length of the string by using a longer scale, you lower the pitch. This can be counteracted by using a lighter gauge string or by increasing the tension to give you the same note as you'd have for a shorter scale. More tension gives you more natural sustain (think about it the other way around - if you detune a string until it's flapping about the notes don't ring out for nearly as long), but makes strings harder to bend and means you're more likely to break a string by bending it/using the whammy too much.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head :wink:

I personally like less tension in my strings, so I tune down 1/2 step. If, however, I wanted to be permanently tuned down 1/2 step for some other reason and liked the 'normal' tension, I could always go for a scale length that was about a frets-worth longer than I currently have.

edit: beaten to it... I was typing/pondering while I was eating lunch :mrgreen:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Hello everyone... I feel that I'm fairly knowledgable about guitars, but one concept I've failed to understand is the idea of scale length... what is the difference between different scale lengths? I understand that the scale length comes from the distance from the nut to the saddle, but what does the difference affect?

I think this quote sums it up best:

"Sonically, the primary difference is in the degree of articulation, and in how well the notes blend together. I like to say, a short scale guitar sounds a bit more like a choir singing together. A long scale guitars sounds more like a group of soloists singing at the same time. Both are good, even fantastic. But they are different. Personally, I like to have guitars with both so I can use which ever sounds best.

The most common scale lengths are:

24.65/24.75/etc - on Gibsons, mostly
25.4 - Martin long scale
24.9 - Martin short scale
25 - PRS
25.5 - Most Fenders, Strats and Teles, though some of the other guitars used a shorter scale."

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

a short scale guitar sounds a bit more like a choir singing together. A long scale guitars sounds more like a group of soloists singing at the same time.
Very eloquent... but I can't hear it in my head :wink:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

The tension differences are easily noticed on bass guitars; compare a 35" long scale with the same string gauges on a 30" short scale and the short scale will undoubtedly seem floppy.

The tonal differences are also more readily apparent, with the long scale affording a bigger, tighter bottom end.

Oddly enough, most short-scale basses come with fairly light-gauge strings, and many string manufacturers only make light-gauge short-scale sets. I've found that putting much heavier strings on my short-scale bass makes a big difference, both in tone and playability (I don't like floppy strings. 8) )

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Here is an interesting article I ran across recently about scale length. I never really considered that length affected tone until I read this.

http://www.electric-guitar-review.com/2006/07/12/your-guitars-scale-length-a-primer/

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

my lap steel has a 22 1/2 inch scale length. the close fret intervals make for fast runs, the increased string tension brings the sustain out further, and I love that quote about choir voices, because it does that too.
see the steels in my avatar. 22 1/2" scale.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Hey dog, you get DECREASED string tension from the short scale. Have to use bigger strings to get it back up.

My Artisan lap steel has a tiny 21" scale. Martin Bluegrass Resonator Guitar strings work great on it for Open E. I wouldn't do that on my reso.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

I like shorter-scale guitars but I hate sloppy strings. Should I put thick or thin strings on it to create more tension?

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Heavier strings will give you more tension.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

You can put heavier guage strings on longer scale guitars/basses and down tune them better than regular guage strings on short or medium scale guitars/basses. That is, If you like down tuning, it can be fun for real nice low end or used in combination with regular tunings if you play appropriately related tunings.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote