Notifications
Clear all

Restring Floyd Rose

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@judasiscariot)
Topic starter  

So I have an ESP LTD with a Floyd Rose locking tremolo system. I've restrung acoustics and regular electrics in the past, but this is my first attempt at restringing my ESP. I went through and replaced each string one at a time, but now that I have reached the 6th string the floating bridge is being pulled up by the string tension. I don't know if I somehow managed to throwoff the spring tension even though I went one by one. Now it's so high up that some of the strings buzz and it's impossible to keep in tune even after locking the top nuts. Am I gonna need to add extra springs to make up for the heavier gauge I'm using? Please help me =(

(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I've got one of those too. Pain in the butt they are. Yes, heavier guage strings will have an effect. If you look at the springs, there are two screws near the top of the springs that will tighten the tension of your existing springs. I'd try that first. I went from 9s to 10s eithout adding a spring on an Ibanez I had. I'm pretty sure I went a full turn on each screw too, but I can't recall for sure. Might have been more.

So, just in case you don't know the tricks of tuning a Floyd Rose, what I would do to tune is this:

1: loosen the locks up top.
2: loosen the little tuners at the bottom to about 75% out.
3: loosen the string tension little by little on each string until the bridge looks like it's way too low, but there is still a little tension on all of the strings.
4: At that point, tune the low-E (fat string) to about .75 sharp. Do the same for the high-E. Use the regular tuners.
5: Next, tune the B and A strings about .33 sharp.
6: Then tune to pitch the D ang G strings.
7: Tighten the hell out of the three locks up top.

At this point, you should be fairly close, but not in tune yet. Using the little tuners on the bridge, start fine tuning by following a similar method that you did in steps 4 thru 6. The only two differences are, you may not need to go to .75 or .33 sharp. See where you are before you begin. Maybe do .33 and .10 if that's all's needed. Remember, small changes. When you tighten one, you loosen all the others.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@judasiscariot)
Topic starter  

Well, I'm trying that method and it works fine, until I get to the fine tuning part. It's like the gauge of string I'm putting on, .11, is just too much. I've gone inside and tightened the two screws connected to the springs as much as possible. When I leave slack on the strings the bridge sits fine, but as soon as I put the strings in tune it starts rising up, lowering the tone of the strings. So I have to tighten them again, but the bridge just rises again. Any advice on this? I'm thinking I need to use 5 springs, since there's space for them in the guitar, but mine only has 3.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I've never tried 11s. If it's tight as can be and still rising, sounds like another spring or two is in order. Sorry this wasn't much help.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@judasiscariot)
Topic starter  

I'm gonna go to Guitar Center right now and buy a set of 5 springs and see how that works. Your instructions were very helpful though, I was tuning them in order as opposed to outside in.

ReplyQuote
(@judasiscariot)
Topic starter  

This is the restringing from hell. I returned the extra 11 gauge strings I bought in order to pay for the new springs. They seemed to be helping a little, but I was getting a lot of buzzing on some of the strings, and they were continuing to flatten out quickly as the bridge raised again. I now have five springs and the screws tightened all the way. The only problem is as I was tuning up the 3rd string snapped and now I have no replacement. I'm thinking about just installing wooden blocks to get rid of the floating bridge altogether.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

JudasIscariot

The 3rd string snapped just tuning up? That isn't right at all. Usually when a new string snaps tuning up it means you are not giving the string slack. A string should have at least 1-1 1/2" slack at the tuning peg on the headstock so that you get at least 3 full wraps before the string even becomes taut.

If you just place the string through the peg without slack it will immediately become too taut. You will not be able to get even one wrap before the string gets super tight and snaps. If this is the case, all of your strings are way overtightened, this is why the bridge is pulling up. 11's aren't even unusual on a guitar. With the 3 springs you should have only had to make minor adjustment to the spring tension.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@judasiscariot)
Topic starter  

The string snapped because I went in and tightened the springs absent mindedly withouth giving the string an y slack. Yesterday I installed two extra springs and tightened the screws and I was still having problems with the bridge rising, so I just left the strings on overnight. This morning I went in and tried it again and it worked perfectly, so the bridge is just where it used to be and it even has good intonation, so it looks like I'm all set. These 11 gauge strings are harder on the fingers than I thought they would be though lol.

ReplyQuote