Scales

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@the-hass)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi Guys,

Was looking for some input on the above topic, i have just learned some scales. The lydian, Dorian, Mixolydian etc. i have also learned the Minor pentatonic, Blues etc.

I have a few questions regarding them as far as i am aware (This is just my judgement from learning) moving the C Major scale up a fret gives the D Major (Dorian) is that right? and so on and so forth or is there a different scale for D, E, F, G, A, B? If so what are there names? i only know the ones i have learned usaing C Major.

Also i understand that solos and leads are devoped from these scales however does a guitarist stick exclusively to one type of scale when playing rock (minor pentatonic) or the blues scale when playing Blues?

I often see guitarists using what appears to me to be the Minor Pentatonic and then jumping to what appears to be the Mixolydian(sp) scale and mix and matching, however they don't seem to just change position but they slide to other scales or bend or use a series of other notes to get there.

i know this is a bit of a mouthfull but it seems that knowing the scales is useless without knowing what to actually do with them. I know how chords are developed from them but i seem to have come to a point were i know what i have learned is not only what they do.

Any help is more then appreciated.

The Hass

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

moving the C Major scale up a fret gives the D Major (Dorian) is that right?

No, it gives you D major. Playing the notes of the C major scale starting from D gives you D Dorian.
Also i understand that solos and leads are devoped from these scales however does a guitarist stick exclusively to one type of scale when playing rock (minor pentatonic) or the blues scale when playing Blues?

Most do, but some don't. You need a good ear to use more than one scale in a solo.
I often see guitarists using what appears to me to be the Minor Pentatonic and then jumping to what appears to be the Mixolydian(sp) scale and mix and matching, however they don't seem to just change position but they slide to other scales or bend or use a series of other notes to get there.

You can play almost any scale in any position. It's the notes that make the scale, not the fretboard position.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Firstly, it's refreshing to see that someone has learned to see the modes (Dorian, etc) as scales, in their own right.

Having said that, I'd be inclined to put them in a deep drawer and leave them there until you absolutely can't do without them any longer (like a pair of Damart Long Johns). I would suggest that you leave the modes alone until you have mastered the primary scales - major and minor in their 7 note, pentatonic and blues variants.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@kopfschmerzen)
Trusted Member

No, it gives you D major. Playing the notes of the C major scale starting from D gives you D Dorian.

It's easier to understand if you imagine a piano keyboard. You'll get D Dorian if you play 7 notes starting from D, but using only white keys. This way, notes will be the same as in C Major (no #s or bs), but the pattern will be different from C Major (TSTTTST instead of C Major's TTSTTTS).

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

You will likely find it a lot more fruitful to forget about modes until you've become comfortable with the major scale, minor scales (natural, harmonic and melodic), the blues scale, and the pentatonic variants of those scales. Practice these in each key, not just C major, and practice them starting on the 5th string as well as starting on the 6th string. Then go back to modes.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

Well ... to be pedantic, moving C major up a fret gives you C# major (or better, Db major). Moving it up two frets gives you D major.
C major Db major D major
e|--------------------------------------------------------------------
B|--------------------------------------------------------------------
G|------------2-4-5------------------3--5--6------------------4--6--7-
D|------2-3-5---------------3--4--6------------------4--5--7----------
A|--3-5---------------4--6---------------------5--7-------------------
E|--------------------------------------------------------------------
C D E F G A B C Db Eb F Gb Ab Bb C Db D E F# G A B C# D

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
(@the-hass)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys,

Learning is fun but can be quite hard however i've never backed down from a challenge and love da guitar.

Thanks again, as always your help is more than appreciated.

The Hass

ReplyQuote