Clear all

Scales practice

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@nadinne_spb)
Topic starter  

hello everybody,

I've got a really newbie question, terribly sorry for possible double threading, but couldn't find anything in the forum or the site. Well, here it is: how do you practise scales? I mean, it's pretty obvious with the left hand - you just fret the notes of the scale, but what is the right hand supposeed to be doing (I just pick the strings with my thumb, but somehow it doesn't seem to make much sence :shock: )?

Thank you

You always got to be prepared but you never know for what

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I am not a pro , quite a beginner myself (3 months ) so i understand ur spite.Don't feel bad.Take a deep breathe and goto the following link-

http://www.cyberfret.com

U gonna find everything there , scales to chords to whatever you need.Good luck

And , yes , welcome to the forum :)

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Basically what you are doing is correct. Just go through the scales one note at a time and picking the string. There are two goals in learning the scales. The first is obvious and that is to become good at the fingering and picking. The second is to learn the notes on the fretboard so don't just play the scales memorize the notes. A good practice routine is to finger the notes at a pace that you can do it cleanly, then speed it up until you mess up then slow it back down, and then start playing them backwards.

It is also a good idea to keep you fingers on the strings to help with stretching your span.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

There are quite a number of things to do with the right hand to help you along.

Get a metronome, practicing locking into a beat.
Practice pick patterns (alternate, duud, udud, etc.)
Practice playing on the off-beats, eigth notes, etc.
practice muting the string after you play it.
practice doing pinch harmonics.

I actually have a lot more things to do with my right hand when practicing scales, than with my left . . .

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member

"how do you practise scales?"

In addition to KingPatzer's advise, below are my 2 cents:

1. Make sure you are getting a nice loud, clear note.
2. Make sure you are fretting close to the fret.
3. Make sure your un-involved fingers are not flailing or tensing.
4. Make sure the right hand is picking and not flicking (the up pick movement should come from the elbow).
5. Using a metronome, practice quarter, one eighths and one sixteenths notes.
6. Make sure you are alternate picking.

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

ReplyQuote
(@nadinne_spb)
Topic starter  

I want to thank everybody for advice and encouragement, as well as for the very useful link. Oh, and one more question, now about the fretting thing (still can't keep the both hands in mind, obviously :oops: ): is there any fretting pattern for each scale (like fingers assigned for each specific note), 'cause I just do it in the way that seems most suitable for me. :?:

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Yes there are fingers assigned .I guess your a beginner so stick to them.If you went to the link i suggested you would have no doubt found the related fingers as well.And also try to use your pinky finger.Initially its weak but later it will help.Also go to this link -

http://www.cyberfret.com/first-fret/index.php

Hope this helps :)

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

how do you practise scales?

Hiya,

I have to answer your question with a question.

Why do you want to practice scales? Surely learning to play something recognisable on your guitar is a better option (unless audiences round your way actually applaud a really good G harmonic minor scale). Take yourself off to the lessons on this site, play around with the chord structures of a load of great songs, and don't look at another session of scale practice until you need to do so.

When will you need to do practice scales? Right about the time you want to play a solo between some of those chord patterns.

Best,

Alan who doesn't teach scales :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@nadinne_spb)
Topic starter  

Why do you want to practice scales?

Well, it actually helps me to memorize the positions of the notes on the fretboard (It is more simple to memorize them as a part of a scale, not just separate notes scattered on the fretboard, and the whole picture becomes somehow clearer) , plus it feels like a good fretting practice. As for my audience, while it is quite patient, the only thing I have to practice only when I'm alone is the scales :? Everything else (that includes The House of The Rising Sun from this site for which I am immensely greatful and a couple of other songs (3-chord both)), is I guess more or less tolerable :)

Again, thanks everybody

ReplyQuote