Where to go NOW?

14 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hi,

I have been playing my acoustic for some 3 months now and have possibly played open chords well and barre too.I can do the scales pretty well.But now it seems i am struck in a rut.Like everytime i sit to play i play the same songs (mostly using open chords) , 2 or 3 scales , maybe a riff and thats all.If you are getting what i mean, I do not know where to move ahead.And as i have mentioned in an earlier post i am mostly( 99%) confined to 3rd fret.And it gets boring really.How to progress ahead now?Will i ever play well :oops:

Thanks for your suggestions

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hey sorry for the possible double posting.Maybe i did it cauz of an error on my computer.Please delete the unnecessary post.
Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@quarterfront)
Reputable Member

Not being a guitar teacher or anything, but just a guy who's learning to play mostly on his own, what I have to offer may or may not be useful. That said, I'd look at learning to play something fingerstyle.

For my part, I learned the arrangement of Julia that you'll find on the guitarnoise lessons section after I'd been playing for a couple months. It's challenging but not too difficult for somebody who's just getting started, and it'll get you thinking with both hands.

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

The best way to get over this type of obstacle is - all together now - play with someone else!

Honest, it works.

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member

If you can play the barre chords well, why dont you attempt to play songs that involve them? You could get a songbook of your fav artist and try to play some of their stuff.

Cheers

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

ReplyQuote
(@rockerman)
Reputable Member

teaching yourself is ok, but lessons with get you where you want to go, faster and with out developing bad habbits.

ReplyQuote
(@crackerjim)
Eminent Member

I wouldn't hesitate to get after the guitar noise lessons. Start at the very first beginner lesson and go right up the list. I've starting doing this and am pleased with the variety of things I'm learning.

Good luck.

Also, when ever you're a little bored, you can improvise on the scales you're working with.

Jim

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Yea it cool and easy to say to take lessons but i have asked students who are taking the lessons and they don't progress either well.Its just like sometimes guitar seems impossible :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hey crackerjim , would you please tell what lessons are you taking (names or links).Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@gizzy)
Estimable Member

now that you can play some chords and scales play some cd's and DVD Concerts and just start getting a Idea what key the song is in so then you have some Idea what chords can be used then apply your scales that go with the chords just keep messing around for awhile and you will find something that fits the song and sounds good, the more you do it the easier it gets your ear will hear things better and you will find it faster on your guitar, It worked for me I can now listen to a song and it don't take long to find something that fits with it and sounds good, I love to play along with concert DVD's gives you a feeling of being part of the band with them. It can be done, I only took lessons when I was 17 and it was for about a month, I am now 44 and have learned far more on my own.

Good luck :D

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for your replies.But the major problem is not learning about songs.Its like learning the guitar.Some theory , something more advanced which tells you that you are advancing as a player

ReplyQuote
(@andrewlubinus89)
Estimable Member

Actually learning songs is progressing as a guitar player...in the end what do we play guitar for? To play songs....

So try some different stuff...play songs that have new techniques or challenges (will you have to learn tapping, harmonics, etc to play the song? Will you have to master your fingering and alternate picking technique?) Keep learning theory bit by bit and you will begin to see how the song fits together (like how they use certain notes from a scale and what chords they are from).

Playing songs is the perfect way to check your progress as a guitar player. I recently went back and tried a song that gave me no end of trouble when I was a beginner and it turned out to be very simple in the end. I could see that I was progresssing and getting better.

I hope this helped.

A hoopy frood knows where his towel is....

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I am sure you all must have looked at Easy songs written by David hodge.Any suggestions where to start so that some learning maybe done in the process.Thanks

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Thanks for your replies.But the major problem is not learning about songs.Its like learning the guitar.Some theory , something more advanced which tells you that you are advancing as a player
David's lesson are more about theory then it is about the songs. Learning the songs is just a tool for learning essentials of good technique and knowledge. Try taking his lessons from the very beginning Absolute Beginner and you will learn a lot.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote