Scraping noise when strumming

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@wrkngclsshero)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I hope this post finds everbody well.

When I strum, I can hear what sounds to be the pick scraping against the strings. I don't mean the plastic "click" coming off the strings, but it sounds like dragging the pick upwards on the strings so you can hear it rub agains the grooves of the lower strings.

Is this a function of a crappy pick (i will admit I play them until they are rounded quite a bit), the need of a string change, or just bad strumming (I have noticed that my strum is not quite perpendicular to the strings).

Oh well, thanks for listening :D

"A working class hero is something to be..." -J. Lennon

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Look at the tip of the pick, it should be shiny and smooth. If it isn't, the scraping is almost certainly coming from the pick.

I don't want to break the bank or anything, but you might just spring for a new pick and try it out :lol: :lol: :lol:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Wrkngclsshero,

Have no fear in breaking GB's house and steal some of his picks. He carries many and often mutilates them, till they are perfect for playing.

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

I used to hear all sorts of noises when I was starting out. It could very well be the 'new pick' symptom or new strings symptom.

I found that the noises I heard were due mainly because I lacked any picking technique and just whacked at the strings. I just played to darn hard. That combined with my total lack of muting skill made it all the more obvious as I went along.

I'd suggest you don't worry about it for now. Make sure you pick or pluck the strings squarely, ie don't angle your pick and just keep plugging away at it.

Also as I play more and more my ear (listening) gets better and better and I hear those sounds in the alot of the music I love. Sometimes its a desirable thing. Other times not.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote