Skip to content
OMG what a differen...

Notifications
Clear all

OMG what a difference a good setup makes!!

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@srpntmage)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I went to this guitar guy on my lunch to have my guitar setup. WOW, the dude was amazing. My guitar plays like heaven now. I barely have to touch the strings to fret them. He spent a whole hour working on it, sanding, dremel tooling, tuning, re-stringing etc, right in front of me, on the spot. I swear it isn't the same guitar.

Then he's like that will be $20. I was expecting to have to pay at least 50-60. I gave him extra, because he was a really nice guy and he did a ton of work on the guitar. He's just amazing to watch, and I learnd a ton about how guitars work from him.

If you ever need guitar work done, in Houston, check this dude out..

(@srpntmage)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Just one more thing.......I can play F now, and I couldn't even come close before. This just made everything easier. YAY

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

"right off Washington" -- too bad that's not Washington DC.

Sounds like you got a great deal. 8)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Might i suggest that as great as it is that you like this guy -- posting a person's name and phone number on a semi-public board is probably not a favor.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@srpntmage)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Its the number off of his business card for his shop. He gave me a bunch of cards, so that I could give them to people I knew. Heck I figured it would be good advertising for him. I'll remove it though. If anyone lives in Houston and wants his number let me know.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, posting his number here is probably not a good idea. But he sounds like a terrific guy, so hand those cards out and tell other guitarists about him. I am the same way, if I find a business person who gives great service, I tell people everywhere about them. They deserve more business. :wink:

Congrats on your guitar playing so well. It is so much easier to learn and play well on a properly set-up guitar.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Happyness is a well setup guitar :D Just curious, what got the dremel? Was it an acoustic? Saddle or nut adjustment? I've never used a dremel to set up a guitar, however I have used a dremel on a guitar. :twisted:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@srpntmage)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Yeah I killed the number, probably not a good idea.

He dremeled the saddle. the grooves for the strings were not equal or deep enough or something. Whatever he did it worked. I can play things I never was able to before.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Cool, good deal! I used the dremel to enlarge holes for better tuning machines. As far as acoustic saddles, I have always sanded them down manually with sand paper.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote