Notifications
Clear all

Second Guitar

33 Posts
20 Users
0 Likes
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Just wandering what would it be if guitars costed like pianos. Will you still buy some ? I mean Imagine a pianist having 7 or more pianos...

That's when you get one of Line6's guitars that model everything else, like people do with electronic keyboards that produce a ton of different sounds.

The keyboard guys I see start have Hammonds, various Rolands, Yamahas, numerous midi controllers...

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I have another question. While looking at a catalogue, it said some were 'Student Guitars' and some were 'Lead Guitars.' What is the difference?

'Student guitar' is marketing-speak for 'inexpensive'. Today's student guitars are generally much better quality than the ones produced in the 60s and 70s - many of them were unplayable then. Today most will hold up ok, some are pure garbage, and a few handle and sound as well as 'concert' instruments. Student guitars are made with less expensive woods, less attention to asthetics like binding and inlay work (some student acoustics have painted on fret markers, for example), and lower QC standards.

There's no construction difference that distinguishes a 'lead' guitar from any other electric. Any guitar can be used for either rhythm or lead... so that's either a marketing thing, or it's a variation on another model - maybe with 'hotter' pickups or something.

You'll know exactly when you should buy your second one... you'll need it more than the money it'll cost you. I've owned a bunch of guitars over the years... at the moment I have more than Wes, less than Joe :) Every one has a unique voice, even guitars that are pretty similar in design and materials. The longest I've gone between acquisitions is three years, the shortest about ten minutes - when I found a second beauty while they were writing up the first one in the store.

Oh, and gunslinger - I do know a concert pianist who owns 3 grand pianos. Each one gives him a different tone and feel. He'd probably have as many pianos as I have guitars (and a bigger house to keep them in) if his instruments weren't $60K each.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Pity the poor singer.... :wink:

"Which larynx shall I use this morning? The Pavarotti, the Orbison, or the Cocker? Maybe I should try out that Minogue that's still in its box from last Christmas? Or perhaps the Springsteen again today?

On second thoughts I think I'll just have to stick with the 'Uncle Fred at parties after six beers' model that I was issued with at birth"..... :cry: :cry:

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3