Notifications
Clear all

Seeking the path

11 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@juggernaut)
Topic starter  

So I love the guitar and I'd love to be able to play it. I like almost all types of guitar – from Spanish (dunno what the official name is), Jazz, Blues, Rock, ect.. Basically I want to pick up playing the guitar and I want to build a strong foundation so I can take any number of routes I want to. I did quite a bit of searching on the internet for free lessons and I was so overwhelmed by money gimmicks that I gave up. Do yall know of a good source that I could teach myself guitar? Is there any particular book I should buy? I'm a poor college student in love with music and I just need a little direction, for I am lost in a sea of unknown. I want to teach myself but I don't want to spend a fortune. I already have a guitar, but it is an old junior size one. I think I'll need a new guitar too.

Thanks in advance for your time,
Chris

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Hello Chris,
Welcome to Guitar Noise.
You have come to the right place my friend.
Start here:
https://www.guitarnoise.com/lessons/absolute-beginner-part-1/
Come back and ask any question you may have.
When you can snatch the pebble from my hand then you will be ready :lol:

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

You are already here.

There is nothing like the benefit of having a teacher and gaining the face to face feedback but a number of guitarists have learned without.

Since you are already here, I suggest you start here. Have you checked out the beginners lessons on the main page? If not click on the guitarnoise logo at the top and start with those lessons.

Also, do a forum search of the "Beginners Q&A" forum for books and you will find a lot of info on recommended books.

Oh and welcome to GN.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

This is Esteban with some great news!

Welcome to GN!

#4491....

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

This is Esteban with some great news!

:idea: Picture removed to reduce stomach cramps. :idea:

Welcome to GN!

Your gonna scare him off like that :lol: :lol:

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@juggernaut)
Topic starter  

I don't think I can be scared off, I'm too hungry..

Thanks for the ideas guys, I'm going to check them out

ReplyQuote
(@mwilliams)
Trusted Member

Other than here at GN, try the link below and take some time to read the essays...then get the book, you won't be sorry!

http://www.guitarprinciples.com

Take care and happy picking!

Mike

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I agree that personal lessons are terrific. Especially when you find a really good teacher but there is alot you can learn before getting lessons, IMHO, and if I knew then what I know now I think that I would have waited a bit before jumping into lessons.

There are lessons here to learn basic chords, to learn strumming, to learning some beginning song, etc and all of this would be convered first by an instructor. But it would cost you.

You have any questions, you have the support here at the forums. People will usually go out of their way to help. Sometimes every going a bit to far in helping. :D

Welcome to guitar. Best advice I got is just have fun and dont ... whats that they say "Dont worry about the destination, enjoy the ride"

Welcome to Guitarnoise. 8)

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Plenty of lessons or here, plenty of easy songs for beginners....stick around, you'll find that if you need to ask a question, there'll be a deluge of helpful people to answer....hell, this ain't just any old forum, this is a community....almost a commune, almost a family....

So welcome to GN, and in about 6 months or so we'll all be listening to your demos on soundclick.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

The internet has a wealth of information but it is hard to learn in a bubble. Being in college I would bet that there are other people in your college that play. Do they give music classes? Keep your eyes and ears open you might see someone carrying a guitar on their back. Follow them, there might be a jam going on somewhere.

Libraries still lend books.

There are lots of available avenues to follow that won't necessarily cost you an arm and a leg.

The best thing though is that you've found this site. People here are great and will give lots of their time to try and help you over the rough spots.

Welcome,
Michael

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@juggernaut)
Topic starter  

mwilliams, thanks for the additional resource I can add to my repertoire

geoo, I think I am going to wait till I have a good foundation and I cannot teach myself any farther before I go get private lessons. And being that I live in Austin, TX, the live music capital of the world, I think that once I decide to dish out the dough I'll find a good match. The only thing is I'm not exactly well off financially, so that will have to wait until my funds permit. But I do agree, it is probably one of the best things you could do to learn faster.

Vic Lewis, seems I've found the spot to be when it comes to learning the guitar! Too bad I didn't start earlier..

mikey, I'll track them down like a hound. Haha, good ideas..

Now I'm off to a long night of procrastinated homework, I bid you gentle(wo?)men adieu.

ReplyQuote