Notifications
Clear all

'Serial Number' Chord Charts

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@geordieinexile)
Topic starter  

Hey guys, just picked up my first guitar yesterday (accoustic), so I'm a complete newby. I've hardly been able to put it down, except to look through this site, and my fingertips are very very sore. But it's very fulfilling when I get the chord and strumming just right. Well, at least it sounds right (to me anyway). Also been doing some DDUUD variations to get my wrist in gear.

I'm hooking up with a very talented guitarist hopefully this week so he can pass on some basics.

In the meantime, I'm reading and practicing the "Absolute Beginner Lesson: Chords" and don't completely understand the 'serial numbers'. For example: C - (X32010). I know the lettering tells you what finger and 'X' means not to play that line, but how do I know what fret to play the chord on/in?

I know the answer is obvious to the more experienced, so I apologise in advance! :)

(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

For example: C - (X32010). I know the lettering tells you what finger and 'X' means not to play that line, but how do I know what fret to play the chord on/in?
"X" does mean to either not play that string or mute it if necessary, but the numbers are telling you which frets not which fingers. In the case of the C chord you're showing they are the same, but that won't always be the case.

Welcome and Congrats on the new guitar, enjoy it.

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
(@geordieinexile)
Topic starter  

That makes much more sense than the way I was seeing it. Thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

you're welcome

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote