Notifications
Clear all

Silk & steel versus coated strings

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@srmac)
Topic starter  

For the past couple years I have been using Elixar and D'Addario coated 80/20 strings. Last summer I replaced these on my parlor guitar with silk and steel Martin strings. The silk and steel have a mellow sound and are very easy to play. I am thinking of putting them on my 12 string. What are the advantages and disadvantages of the coated versus the silk and steel strings? In addition to the parlor and the 12 string, I have a Seagull Artist and a Rainsong AWS.

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Usually the silk and steel strings keep fresh less time than other strings but, I agree, they are easier to play and the tone is also different. I guess there are not advantages or disadvantages, there are different choices.

ReplyQuote
(@srmac)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the reply. The silk & steel are working very well for my parlor guitar. I'll just have to see if I like the sound on others. It really is about choices.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

I've always liked the sound of silk and steel and have, at some point, used them on both my six and twelve string acoustics.

Claudia, the owner of our local music store, recently sold me a set of Martin's new "silk and phosphor" strings and so far I'm impressed with them. Slightly brighter than silk and steel and they seem to be holding that tone longer. Might be worth checking out. Usually I have one of the six strings strung with them.

For a parlor guitar or another guitar suitable for a lot of finger-style playing, they are definitely a nice choice. Especially if you want to play classical pieces on an acoustic instead of a nylon string.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@srmac)
Topic starter  

David,
Thanks for the input. I'll put the silk and phosphorus on my list to try. Whereas I just changed strings, it will be a few months out. The discussion has been useful, but you put a new twist on it. Take care.

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

I have used silk strings as well, and they wear out really quickly. The have a different sound to them I'll give you that. Not a bad sound, just much more mellow.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote