slapping the strings while strumming

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@avikchaks)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

hiya
i c john mayer and quite a lot of others slapping the strings with the right hand while strumming to create a percussive effect ... but when i try doing this the chord gets muffled ..

i gather this is an important weapon in the armoury of a acoustic guitarist ...

plz tell me how can i develop this skill !

thanx in advance

(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

Sometimes Jon Mayer plays those slaps with a palm mute. On the acoustic guitar u want to hit the strings of the chord just slightly before u hit them with your palm, almost like a flam on the drums.
When you get the timing right it will sound like a slap with the chord resonating in the body of the guitar. I recommend u use the side of your thumb to slap the strings, gets better timing and hits harder to get the accually rhythm hit.
The I also find it allot easier to slap the strings closer to the bridge.

And if u dont want to do that, just tap the body of your guitar lightly.

Hope that helps a bit

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

The trick to this one is to make sure that the palm comes down flat on all six strings at the same time, and at the same time the fingertips come down on the pickguard. It will take a bit of practice but shouldn't take too long to nail.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@avikchaks)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

hey thanx alan !
i think i make it work now ...

i do it more like a normal strum but only that the slap is included in that same downward motion ...

but i hav a query .. i hav pickups installed cud i be i'm bangin on the pickups and that i'll get no slaps when i get a proper acoustic < without pickups >
?

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

To be honest, it's going to sound better on an accoustic; but have fun anyway.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote