Skip to content
Sliding up the fret...

Notifications
Clear all

Sliding up the fret board - a question about noise...

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@longdave)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi everybody.

I decided to have a go at 'Now and Forever' by Richard Marx, since I have never really tried fingerpicking in any serious way.

There is a bit right at the start of the song, where you play two open strings, then hammer on both these at different frets. That bit is no problem, but then you have to slide these two strings up two frets, and when I do it, then screeching noise is awful! I know a little bit of that noise is acceptable, and can even add to the song overall, but the screeching is really loud and seems too much to me. So I have two questions:

1. Short of fitting flatwound strings to my guitar, is there any technique used to lessen the volume of sliding up strings, and,

2. Since my guitar is an electro-acoustic, if I were to amp it up and record from the amp, would this noise be lessened (relatively) through the amp, so the recorded version would not sound as bad?

Cheers!

Dave

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

stay away from flatwounds. although temptinmg they really are not your answer.
jazz players like flat wounds because the vibration of the string (sustain) is lessened. so when they play those fast single note runs the notes dont blur together.

pressing too hard on the string is the most common problem with beginners. remember to slightly ease off the pressure (while keeping your fingers on the strings ) after you sound the notes and begin the slide to the next notes.

you should be able to reduce the screech to a more acceptable fffft sound.
practice. pressure/ release.

works for me.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Try a set coated Elixers, they feel like they have snot on them but the sliding noise is almost completely gone.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

String & fretboard lubricants can help.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote