Slipping pick

12 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@hello)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi,

I've been playing for a half year now and it's going pretty well. I can strum most chords inluding barre. The problem comes when i try to switch to picking single strings.

When i'm strumming i like to hold the pick loosely so it doesn't sound too sharp, but the pick tends to slip away. When i'm just strumming away this doesn't matter too much because it still sounds ok, but when i try to switch to picking single strings this just doesn't work.

I tried to tighten the grip while i'm strumming and the pick won't slip, but i don't really like the sound...

A friend of mine, who is a very experienced guitar player told me he shifts the pick automatically with his fingers, should i practice that? Or maybe a thinner pick? I use a 0.6 mm

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I think at one time or other everyone goes through this problem. I don't think the slipping actually ever goes away but you learn to manage it and ultimately find the right technique for holding the pick that works best for you.

There was a discussion earlier on this with some alternatives to get you by. Take a look at it:

http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?t=16791

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Everyone's a little different. Of all the students I've had, I only remember one who never had a problem with his pick slipping... almost everybody goes through this.

My progression was probably pretty typical...

Starting out, I dropped my pick a lot. I can't tell you how often I had to shake it out of the soundhole.

When my strumming started to get better, I wanted more speed. I went to thinner picks. They flew farther when I'd drop 'em, so I'd be looking under couches and beds and what not to find them again.

I decided to go to picks that had a grip. I remember switching to Dulops. I still used very thin gauges for speed. The Dunlops let me grip 'em really well, so I didn't drop them much... instead, they'd shatter when I'd do a really fast strum in a pattern.

I went to heavier picks to solve the shattering problem. But at that point - probably about 3 years into my playing - my ears were getting better on the nuances of my playing, and the heavier nylon Dunlop picks didn't sound right. This began my quest for pick sound.... matchbook covers, coins, thumbpicks, plastic, metal, wood, stone... figure 2 years and maybe $150 (1970s dollars!) in picks to find a sound.

So after about 5 years of playing, I settled on heavy gauge large triangle shapes. I still dropped them, but not as often - maybe once or twice a night playing rhythm, and hardly ever playing lead, although I'd have to shift my grip once in a while on lead, as the point would wander away.

I figured that was the best I could do. I was getting the sound I wanted.

Maybe 10 years ago I dropped a pick. At that point I'd been playing for a bit over 20 years, and dropping it surprised me. I tried to remember the last time I'd dropped a pick... and I couldn't. I hadn't consciously changed anything, it just stopped happening. And I haven't dropped a pick since then.

I still try out new picks when I find 'em. I brought about a dozen different ones home from NAMM, and I've used them all. I didn't drop any, no matter what they were made from.

So yeah, it's a common problem. And no, I don't think anybody can give you your solution - it just happens to go away over time.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

I only dropped a pick a couple of times. It was frustrating enough trying to get the pick to drop out of the sound hole that I made sure I stopped doing it in short order.

But it did slip around in my fingers for a long time and had to often stop and put it back where I wanted it. It still happens but less and less. Slowly yes but less and less with time. :D

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@hello)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the replies!

I decided to hold the pick as tightly as needed even if my strumming sunds a bit choppy now...i hope that will go away with some practice....

i think that it's easier to learn better strumming while holding the pick tighter than to learn how to pick single string with the pick just shifting everywhere...

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Boy, can I relate to this thread.

I have always had extremely dry hands. I am one of those people that when I read a book I automatically put my fingers to my lips to flip the page. Otherwise I cannot grip paper at all.

And when I first started playing guitar I could not grip a pick to save my life. I was constantly dropping them, or it would turn around in my fingers. I tried all different types of picks, didn't seem to help. For a while I even used to put small squares of double-sided tape on each side of my picks. It worked pretty good, but boy, what a gooey mess!

I also noticed that when I strummed chords I held the pick at the end. Then I could not really go to picking single notes very effectively, especially to speed pick. To speed pick I found I had to choke-up on the pick with just the tip exposed.

So, I know what you are talking about.

What finally worked for me was this; I learned to hold the pick about center. This was much better for single note picking but made my rhythm guitar sound a little harsh and clanky.

I then realized that when I strummed I held my picking hand far above the strings, but for single note picking rested my hand on the bridge. This was my answer.

I have learned to keep my picking hand close to the strings at all times. I pretty much always rest the side of my hand on the bridge now, even when strumming. When I strum I do not make so much up and down motion, and I do not strum with nearly the force I used to. So it is a much lighter feel.

This helped me completely. I no longer lose picks. I am able to get that nice balanced strum by resting my hand on the bridge and strumming with less motion and much lighter attack.

I also find I have much better control in everyway. I rarely miss strings when trying to pick chords arpeggio style. I can go to single note lead playing much better as well.

Anyway, this is what worked for me.

Hope this helped.

Slippery Fingers Wes 8)

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@rockerman)
Reputable Member

wes hit it on the spot, this happened to me at first, not while strumming,
but when i alternate picked, i always dropped the pick on the upstroke
it will pass, i promise you i tried the death grip, still dropped them, just relax and play 8)

ReplyQuote
(@rockerman)
Reputable Member

wes hit it on the spot, this happened to me at first, not while strumming,
but when i alternate picked, i always dropped the pick on the upstroke
it will pass, i promise you i tried the death grip, still dropped them, just relax and play 8)
all you have to do, is play guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

Starting out, I dropped my pick a lot. I can't tell you how often I had to shake it out of the soundhole.

Shake them out? Why, after 30 or 40 fall in your guitar makes one heck of a maraca or rhythm egg. :twisted:

If pick slipage is a problem you might want to try these Star Picks from Everly Music Co. They have a hole punched in the middle with jagged edges. They're not bad but they don't come in the tourtise shell style that I like.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--EMCSTAR

Michael

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@rejectedagain)
Estimable Member

noteboat, that's hilarious, i drop my pick in the soundhole all the time. or used to at least, i haven't dropped my pick while play at all in awhile. it took me awhile. get comfortable with your own technique of holding the pick.

ReplyQuote
(@rejectedagain)
Estimable Member

noteboat, that's hilarious, i drop my pick in the soundhole all the time. or used to at least, i haven't dropped my pick while play at all in awhile. it took me awhile. get comfortable with your own technique of holding the pick.

ReplyQuote
(@ajcharron)
Estimable Member

Here's how I solved that problem: fingernails... After 20 years of playing I was still dropping them, so I grew my fingernails and now I don't use picks except on very rare occasions and only for a minute or so (regular strumming during a particular passage that really needs it: I don't strum a lot).

ReplyQuote