Clear all

Some questions about My guitar and playing on it

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@fender44)
Topic starter  

Hello everyone.

I really adore classic rock (im M. 17 turning 18) and ive started playing guitar since July 2009. The electric guitar I bought is a real basic guitar and not expensive at all; a Squier Affinity Tele MN, Black.
My guitar amplifier is a Laney LX20 15 Watt. It would be foolish to buy expensive stuff and then realise its not your thing.
But luckely it is my thing. Im planning to buy a standard STRATOCASTER Fender HSS midnight wine color around christmass maybe. (if you have serious advice about this please mention!)
Now before I do this, I wanted to ask everybody the following: When I play any open string and at the same time not touch any metal piece on the body or not lay my hand on the bridge, I hear a zoomy noise coming out of my guitar amplifier. When I use an effect pedal its even worse. I can only let it go away when I turn the tone button on minimum. Also, when I hit the two lowest tone snares (E, A) hard, they fret buzz often. I always tune the guitar precisly.. So is this because the guitar isnt from fender but from squier and not expensive?

Thank you for reading this and helping if you will :)
Fender44

(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Welcome!

I think you have first of all, 60 cycle hum. See this: "A single coil pickup will produce a noticeable ‘hum' at a frequency of 60 Hz corresponding to the frequency of AC power lines that interfere with the pickups electromagnetic field. A double coil pickup (frequently called a ‘humbucker') has two single coils that are installed in opposing orientations. When the signals from these two coils are added, the 60 Hz signals ‘cancel' each other out, thereby ‘bucking' the ‘hum' and leaving a relatively noiseless signal." from here: https://www.guitarnoise.com/lessons/replacement-pickups/

Please google or see other definitions on 60 cycle hum, all over, I just don't want to seem to push other links or sites.

Stay away from fluorescent fixtures, rheostats such as dimmers and timers too, also don't play too close to the amp.

On the last thing, maybe your saddles are loose and rattling, on their "legs" or adjustment screws at the bridge plate.

And the SSH Fat Strat should be a lovely guitar, something to look forward to and really enjoy. All the best, enjoy. :D

P.S. I recommend them (and like pics), from experience, and took out the hum with pickguard shielding and mods.

Also, you can get a lot out of a Squier, it ain't no shame, with proper adjustments and care. Daughter's at age 10.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

I'll just add:

Single coils mostly hum some. Lights, other electronics, or bad wiring (in the house as well as in your guitar circuit) can contribute.

Good single coil guitars tend to hum LESS. But even "noiseless" pups, in my brief experience with them, can hum some.

If you like the sound of single coils, and you SHOULD (in my opinion), a little occasional humming is part of their character. Can be minimised, but the only way I've been able to keep single coils from humming at all is to not plug'em in.

BEst,
Ande

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

the e and a might be buzzing because the strings are too close to the neck. you can usually tweak this by raising the height of the bridge saddle with an allen wrench. use google or youtube for instructions on adjusting action.

ReplyQuote
(@fender44)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the answers too all.
@Blue Jay: You are right about the sound problem when I dont touch the bridge, snares or any piece of metal on the guitar causing a zooming coming out of my guitar amplifier. My English might not be that horrible, but i havnt quite understood everything you said though :wink: Could there be a simple solution?

About the snares E and A fuzzing when I hit them harder; I guess I will find a solution for it like heighting the bridge.

~ Here's the guitar I'd like to buy
(Fender NEW Standard Strat HSS RW MW Midnight Wine)

What do you think?

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

No problem, I read you, strings are buzzing.

No simple solution for the fret buzz, unless a new set of strings would help?

About the hum, sometimes the additional bridge pickup ground (double ground) comes off the underside of the bridge plate.

After that, possibly a bridge adjustment, and for the saddles: try to arch them like a rainbow, radius more or less equal to the curvature of frets on the board.

The new Strat looks good, but the intonation, based on the appearance of the saddles, is probably off or 'inaccurate'. The bridge seems low at the tail and a silly millimeter or less too high at the front, 6 screws. But it is hard to get a 3D impression. And sometimes, that is intentional (hardtail effect or stiffer tremolo), but the saddle mis-adjustment will likely need a slight correction. :)

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote