Notifications
Clear all

Some questions to the more experienced guitar players

39 Posts
20 Users
0 Likes
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

You've nailed it right on the head there. I can just about cope with Twinkle Twinkle, but I struggle with Happy Birthday. I'm even having trouble singing the national anthem to the point I'm considering emigrating to Toronto ;)

Yes, I had to move to Australia for just that reason (coincidentally I was also from Berkshire. Maybe it's something in the water there??...). We don't bother singing the national anthem here. We simply stand there with glazed eyes and occasionally open and shut our mouths. But singing it is rare.
Maybe next year I'll be doing the backups on your songs - who knows :lol:

Nah! Next year you'll be fronting your own songs....

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Yes, I had to move to Australia for just that reason (coincidentally I was also from Berkshire. Maybe it's something in the water there??...).

Given the last antics with Thames Water, it would be no surprise... :mrgreen: But see it gets more complicated, cos originally I'm French so I get La Marseillaise muddled up with the God Save The Queen, and when you get Her Majesty's guts suddenly spilling all over French war fields, it gets very messy.

Nevermind hey. I'm off to practise my O Canada.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I think only women can carry on 13 conversations simultaneously! :shock:
Congrats! :lol:
Well, what can I say. I like a challenge. Plus I was offline for about a week so I had to make up for that ;)
Isabelle, just kidding! My apologies! :D

When you prepare the song list, remember you can choose the "easy versions": sometimes some chords can be substituted by simpler ones and some progressions can be omitted without the song has important differences with original. Obviously it will sound better if you use all the correct chords but maybe it is more motivating if you can play your favorite songs initially.

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

Given the last antics with Thames Water, it would be no surprise... :mrgreen: But see it gets more complicated, cos originally I'm French so I get La Marseillaise muddled up with the God Save The Queen, and when you get Her Majesty's guts suddenly spilling all over French war fields, it gets very messy.
If we're goingto wander off into national anthems and particularly God Save the Queen then you might want have a look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odNNgEn5l6s by Billy Connolly. Not for those easily offended but quite funny.
[Nevermind hey. I'm off to practise my O Canada.
You'll need to know it for the hockey games. (I'm a Canuck) It's got some plusses as a national anthem in that it's something that the average citizen can sing. Some countries have anthems that are impossible to sing form almost everybody because of the vocal range required.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I can sing all 4 verses of The Star Spangled Banner. Severely aggravates my wife and daughter.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

If we're goingto wander off into national anthems and particularly God Save the Queen then you might want have a look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odNNgEn5l6s by Billy Connolly. Not for those easily offended but quite funny.
Nice one. I can't believe Billy Connolly ever had that much hair :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

. We don't bother singing the national anthem here. We simply stand there with glazed eyes and occasionally open and shut our mouths. But singing it is rare.

Because it's boring, spiritless,lacking in emotion ... it just doesn't stir the blood like some national anthems. :cry:

Now if it was Waltzin' Matilda ... :D

And here's Tommy Emmanuel on Matilda:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6R1sXdIpUA

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I can sing all 4 verses of The Star Spangled Banner. Severely aggravates my wife and daughter.
I know the words, but not sure you would call it singing. :? :lol: I am however very proud of my country and what it stands for.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member

Well I am not very experienced but I do know some easy song's "I Hung my Head" is easy and "Hurt" is easy But both use the F chord.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3