Clear all

Some song advice

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@jimatwell)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I've been playing guitar (electric) for almost two years and am reaching the point (probably long overdue) where I'd like to take the big step of playing with other people. I generally play blues and classic rock (rhythm and some licks/lead) and was hoping to get some advice as to what songs I should learn so that when I get together with other players I don't end up standing there with a dumb look on my face from not knowing any of the "right" songs. So....

Could the wise contributors to the forum make some suggestions of songs that tend to be popular at your jam sessions?

Thanks a lot!

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Hi Jim,

I would just say to learn songs that you personally like. You didn't say how old you are, but generally I think most people gravitate toward playing with others of similar age and music experience when forming a group. The group I am in now we are all between 52-54 years old. We didn't plan it that way, that is what usually happens. I mean, if you are offered the chance to play with a group where the members are 20 years younger (or older) than you, and then you are offered a chance to play with people of similar age, where would you go? So usually you will know the same songs as the rest of the group. So, just play the songs you've always liked whether it be Blues, Classic Rock, or even something more modern.

Start a nice notebook with the lyrics and chords to all your songs. If you join a group, make copies for each member. Now everybody will be able to play right away. There is nothing worse than everybody staring at each other wondering what songs to play. And the person who does the most homework and comes prepared with music like this kind of runs the show. In my group that is me. I am always typing out songsheets and e-mailing it to the other guys. They never do it. So when it comes to songs, I am kinda in charge. :D

This is not something I do to have any kind of control over the band, if one of the other guys wants to play a certain song, I will get the music for it. Our drummer wanted to play Heard It Through the Grapevine a couple of weeks ago, so I got all the music and lyrics and brought it to practice. So we were able to learn it fast, it actually took about 10 minutes! Being the same age, we all knew the song.

No, the reason I do this is because I hate wasting time at practice. And if nobody else is going to do the homework to make things progress, well, I'm gonna do it. I don't like wasting time, I like to get songs learned so we can get out and gig quick.

You might find a group that is already established but their guitar player dropped out. In that case get their songlist and start learning the songs as fast as possible. You aren't going to get anywhere if you simply practice once a week with the band. No, you need to practice the songs on your own all during the week. I do this constantly. So you have to be prepared to learn new songs.

But still, take your songs along and introduce them. Whenever a new member joins a band it changes the chemistry of the band, and that is a good thing.

Hope that helped.

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

hi Jim

i can subscribe every Wes word. Having said so, if you like them you could start learning some Creedence clearwater revival tunes: most of their biggest hits are simple enough to be learned decently in just half an hour, still they'are great songs that can be re-arranged and still works great: i.e. in our band we took Fortunate son and make it a jam of eight minutes or more!

Matteo

ReplyQuote
(@jimatwell)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys, good advice. I'm 40 now (grumble grumble) so I'm a bit older than many guitar newbies. I do have a notebook where I'm accumulating the songs I can play and even got a copy of the music "cheat sheets" of the band a co-worker of mine is in (which includes a few Credence songs that I've played around with). I guess the hardest part is actually "coming out of the bedroom" and reaching out to somebody to jam with that has similar interests and playing ability.

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

ehi mate

if it can gives you some confidence, i'm 37 and I've just started my first band!!!i'd love to play some Iron Maiden tunes but i'm not good enough (til now!!), so until now we're playing songs from CCR to Alice cooper, Motorhead, Ramones, Sex Pistols etc. whatever it makes some noise :-)!!! Playing with other people is fundumental to grow as a musician, at the beginning i feared not to be able to do it, but fortunately it all went ok. To play with other people you should be quite decent in the rhythmic side, no matter how easy a song it is if you cannot play it on time it won't work. But if you can play the songs along the record you can sure do it!!!
regarding the songs do not worry: if you suggest a song that all the band can play it well, you'll see that it will be appreciated. I mean i suggested to play Fortunate son and who'll stop the rain from CCR and after a mere couple of takes the others loved'em (at the beginning their attitude was suspicious to say the least!) the same goes for Ramones or Sex Pistols: i've never ever appreciated them in my life but seeing how well we can play their tunes, i have no problem playing some of their songs with the band

Good luck and be confident: maybe you'll become the oldest debuting bluesman around!!

Matteo

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Thanks guys, good advice. I'm 40 now (grumble grumble) so I'm a bit older than many guitar newbies. I do have a notebook where I'm accumulating the songs I can play and even got a copy of the music "cheat sheets" of the band a co-worker of mine is in (which includes a few Credence songs that I've played around with). I guess the hardest part is actually "coming out of the bedroom" and reaching out to somebody to jam with that has similar interests and playing ability.

Hey Jim... You're not alone in your age demographic. There are many of us in your age group and in the same musical boat. BTW, I'm a few miles north of you. Maybe we can get together to jam and have some fun!!!

Edit: Oh and by the by, I am older than you grumble, grumble, grumble, grumble.....

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

Thanks guys, good advice. I'm 40 now (grumble grumble) so I'm a bit older than many guitar newbies.

Um no... I'll fightcha for that top honor... I'm 51 and just started back in January. :lol:

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Could the wise contributors to the forum make some suggestions of songs that tend to be popular at your jam sessions? Thanks a lot!

Of all the advice you'll get...pay special attention to the following:

Stand so the drummer and the bassist can easily see your pick hand. That's where the rhythm in "rhythm section" comes from. Make sure the bassist can easily see the drummer's foot pedal...that'll tie in the percussion to the rhythm.

This is the SIMPLEST way to "get tight".

Hope that helps!

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote