Skip to content
Something I have st...

Notifications
Clear all

Something I have struggled with for a while now.

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@ash_s137)
Topic starter  

Hello, I've been playing guitar for about 7 months and when I'm not plugged into my amp I sound pretty good. However, whenever I plug myself in and crank it I have massive problems with string bending - namely the strings above (normally the string two above, for example if I bend the 1st string the 3rd string) will ring out after I release the bend. I've searched everywhere but this does not seem like a common problem! None of the lessons mention this at all. :(

I managed to stop it sort of by using my right palm (around the thumb area) and that works fine for simple bends and releases. However, if I want to play something like 'Nobody knows you when you're down and out" that involves bending the 15th fret on the second string three times in succession then I cannot physically keep muting and alternatively pick the bend at the same time. I hear ringing. :(

The worst example is the famous lick in the stairway solo, the one that you repeat 10 or so times.

It's driving me absolutely nuts. Even when I mute with my right hand I get an awful click/mute noise too. It's not my nails, that's for sure. On very close inspection it seems the 2nd string touches the 3rd and when it moves back down the 3rd rings. They seem really easy to set off ringing...

(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

I had this problem a while back, I fixed it by using two fingers to bend. Have one finger a little higher and just touching the next string, not pressing it down and it will mute the strings above.

Hope that helps

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@ash_s137)
Topic starter  

I've tried that and it does help sometimes, feels bizarre though. When I watch Gilmour and Page play they have all their fingers on the same string, Clapton does something weird and mutes with his middle finger when bending with the third but I don't have that strength.

ReplyQuote
(@rip-this-joint)
Estimable Member

That problem really irritated me when i first started playing leads. The way i fixed it was like you said, rest your right hand on the strings to mute them. After a while, I think it just becomes a feel thing and you know what to do.

ReplyQuote
(@ash_s137)
Topic starter  

What about repeated bends in quick succesion? Like the part in the stairway solo? I can only imagine the thud I get from muting would be aplified when playing very loud. :( Maybe my action is too high?

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

nah, your action is probably fine. you are just noticing the nuances of trickier guitar playing...congrads by the way...
being a bit more careful when you lift off helps. I tended to lift off towards the fatter string. now, I lift off more away from the string.

muting is a good technique for alot of things. I use my picking hand . my fretting fingers have enough to think about. muting with them would be really hard for a repeating bend like that....it's one of my favs.
keep in mind that you will always have some string bumping and subsequent sound. on the CD that extra sound is mastered out.

at a live show it is so hugely loud one doesnt hear it.

so I am saying some is always there and impossible to get rid off.
alot isnt aceptable. you judge what is a little or alot.

keep at it. it all gets easier until you find something more difficult.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@ash_s137)
Topic starter  

Thanks for you encouraging words. With what part of the hand would you mute for that repeated bend that I referred to just then? I definitely need to pay more attention to how I lift my fingers off after a bend now too.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

for palm muting I tend to keep the bony part just after the wrist bend on top of the bridge.
then the fleshy parts (the thumb side and the outside edge side) hard to describe...Im pointing cant you tell?.....are held lightly against the strings.
with very little pressure you have great control over string vibration.

at first it will be awkward, as your focus will be all there. eventually it becomes second nature and an extention of playing.
note that in this position the action is all at the wrist and not the arm.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@ash_s137)
Topic starter  

Thanks mate, I'm getting the hang of it. Still too much thudding in that repeated bend for me at the moment, I find it tricker to mute lower strings when picking the bend with an upstroke.

ReplyQuote