Clear all

Song Key Database

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@lion2)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Just came across this site that has a database of what keys songs are in. Very useful for soloing. It even allows you to enter a song if they dont have it.

OOPS!!! Forgot the link.

http://www.songkeys.com

Sorry about that

(@corbind)
Noble Member

Got a link?

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@lion2)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Sorry about that. Just edited my message above and posted the link.

ReplyQuote
(@gobes)

I'm not sure how much I would trust that site. I just went there and looked at a couple of songs that are on the first page.
It says that Boulevard of Broken Dreams by Green Day is in F#. I figure that the song is in F minor.
They have Good Riddance in C. I'm quite sure that it's in G.
They have American Idiot in F#. I'm not positive on this one even though I know how to play it but I'd say that it's probably in Ab or Db.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I noticed some bad keys too. I tried to mark them, but their interface fails when you mark a song wrong (but works if you mark it right!)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

So the Lesson of the Day is: learn how to figure out the key yourself. If you can't hear that, how can you hear whether or not your solo makes sense?

ReplyQuote
(@spillman22)

i have a question. are chords different in different keys ? an answer would help me out greatly.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Hi spillman22 and Welcome to GuitarNoise.

Well, an E minor chord is always the same no matter which key you are using it in. It is made of three notes, the Root, flatted third, and fifth (R, IIIb, V).

I am not a teacher like Noteboat, but very basically each key has 3 Major and 3 Relative Minor chords.

For instance, in the key of C you have the chords, C, F, and G. And the three Relative Minor chords for this would be Am (A minor), Dm (D minor), and Em (E minor).

The C Major Scale= C, D, E, F, G, A, B, C

The relative Minor scale in C= A, B, C, D, E, F, G

Both scales share the same exact notes. The relative minor scale starts on the 6th tone of the Major scale. And the chords are built from these notes.

C chord= C, E, G
F chord= F, A, C
G chord= G, B, D
Am chord= A, C, E
Dm chord= D, F, A
Em chord= E, G, B

So you see how all these chords share the same exact notes?

If you change keys, the chords will change. In D the Major scale would be

D, E, F#, G, A, B, C#, D

The I, IV, and V chords would be:

D= D, F#, A
G= G, B, D
A= A, C#, E

The relative Minor chords (start on the 6th tone in the Major scale) would be

Bm= B, D, F#
Em= E, G, B
F#m= F#, A, C#

So, can you see that both the keys of C and D contain an Em (E minor) chord as one of the Relative Minor chords?

But the Em is still the same exact notes, E, G, and B.

Does that answer your question?

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote