Clear all

Songs to learn

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@aybee)
Topic starter  

Hi everyone,

I've picked up the guitar again after a gap of a few years and have recently learnt how to play Layla (acoustic) and am looking for something of similar difficulty to learn (preferably classic rock). Any suggestions? I have tried to find other songs and they either seem to be too tough or just chords (maybe my brain is just not working properly)

On a similar note, I have tried to find a thread on this forum that could possibly give some suggestions for beginners/intermediates based on genre etc. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
a.

(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

Try learning Blackbird. Look under Intermediate songs here. You may find other songs of interest.

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

Layla is a fun song to play. Have you tried Tears in Heaven, its another Clapton song of the same CD. Its a great finger pickin song.

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@aybee)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the suggestions. I have learnt blackbird and partially Tears in Heaven. Maybe I should stop finding excuses and just learn the whole song... :)

To the moderators: I am sure a lot of people at my level are looking for song ideas, including those who perhaps want to experiment with performing in front of others. Perhaps we can keep some sort of list going (categorized by genre and skill level)?

ReplyQuote
(@jasonrunguitar)
Reputable Member

Hmmm...trying to think of some good stuff here...how about

What Would You Say - Dave Matthews Band
Mamma I'm Commin' Home - Ozzy Osbourne
Behing Blue Eyes - The Who
Life in the Fast Lane - The Eagles

Just trying to think of things that aren't straight chording, yet still on the acoustic (ok, so Life in the Fast Lane isisn't acoutic, but you could play it acoustic easy enough). If you play electric too, then I could name tons!:smile: I second pearlthekat's advice on the Songs for Intermediates section of GN here. It's a great resource.

-Jason
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To those about to rock, we salute you!
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonwittenbach

ReplyQuote
(@aybee)
Topic starter  

Thanks. I do play with the electric (and a Pod 2.0) actually. I have been sticking to acoustic songs because the electric songs that I have tried didn't sound that good :( (black dog) and the recordings usually involve multiple guitars and effects. However, I am guessing its because I haven't figure out how to play well enough yet :)

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

If you could read my mind
Banana Pancakes
Homeward Bound
You've got a friend
Elderly Woman Behind The Counter in a Small Town
Under the Bridge
Here Comes The Sun
Across the Universe
Julia
Everybody's Talkin'
Autumn Leaves
Don't Think Twice
I hope that I don't fall in love with you
Babylon
Blackbird
I Am a Man of Constant Sorrow
If I needed you
Buckets of Rain
If I had a boat
Father and Son
Fields of Gold
Fire and Rain
Needle and the Damage Done
Comfortably Numb (Mostly chords, but interesting transistions)
Wish you were here
Clocks
Brain Damage
Bookends
Losing my Religion
Landslide
Love the one you're with
Old Man
Sugar Mountain
Me and Julio down by the School Yard (All Chords but catchy and tough rhythm to play and sing)
Peaceful easy feeling
Please don't bury me
Souvenirs
Space Oddity
Wild World

More?

Dust in the Wind
Angie
Melissa
Norwegian Wood
Silent Lucidity
Mother Nature's Son
Two of us
Born on the Bayou

I could probably come up with several thousand more if I had to. Let me know when you are done with that list. :D

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

And when you're done with those you can take a look at the (at last count) several dozens of threads on this very topic in the forum's "back pages" :wink: You usually can't go back more than two or three pages without having this topic come up.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@aybee)
Topic starter  

And when you're done with those you can take a look at the (at last count) several dozens of threads on this very topic in the forum's "back pages" :wink: You usually can't go back more than two or three pages without having this topic come up.

Peace

Actually thats why I suggested that we have a particular place where we start create a database of these kinds of songs. That would prevent threads like mine :wink:

Thanks for the suggestions.

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

hey, we have the Easy songs Database. Wink Wink.

You have to be logged in to see it.

ReplyQuote