Specified Scale to start out first?

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@kenllh)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi there,

I feel that i am at a lost when learning Theory Knowledge on Scales. I read them so many times and i dont understand at all. What kind of scales should i learn? I tried learning the C major scale so there are so many position to start with. Should i start on the 6th E string first or the 5th A String third fret? And there are so many positions i think the possibilities are infinite(whenever i think of it, i just skip learning scales, and instead try to play songs from tabs) which i tink will slow my progress as i should get practical theory out right first.

Can someone tell me step by step what scale to start learning first and in micro details; what postion do i start?

On the other hand, i was also searching for licks, and i felt that the tune doesnt make sense to me. Could i play any licks from songs that i am familiar with like for example Cannon in D, or Now and forever the solo parts?

I am also looking for easy jazz songs/licks/ to listen to and play but cant find any...Does anyone has a good website on beginning jazz? Theory and practical?

Rgds,
Kenny

I fell in luv wit my G440C Takamine~ :)

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

They're nowhere near infinite. There are 11 that are possible, 7 that are used (the other 4 are really awkward), and 4-5 that are really useful.

Stert by learning the scale in C major in first position. Learn the notes rather than memorizing the fingering. If you keep your hand in one position, the fingering will come naturally.

After you know where all the notes are - and don't forget the ones below the root (E through B) - move up to second position. Learn this one as a closed fingering... which means you won't use open strings. That will give you the beginning of a mental fretboard map.

When you have that one down, move up to fifth position. Here you'll know the first finger notes, because they were the fourth finger notes in second position - so you're just figuring out where the rest of the notes are.

Then move up to 8th position and do it again. Then 12th. You'll notice in 12th position the layout of notes is identical to open position, but the fingering is a little different.

At this point, you know the fretboard - you can find "E" or "B" anywhere. And with a little bit of thought, you can find a scale fingering anywhere... because you know where all the notes are!

This has a couple great advantages over learning fingering patterns: first, if you get lost you simply look down and find a note in key, and pick up again from there; second, you are freed from 'pattern playing'.

Now pick a scale... let's say you choose Bb. Learn the difference between Bb and C - the B and E notes are lowered. Pick a spot on the neck and play the notes. After just a few minutes, you'll find you can play in that key. Repeat it with other keys.

Many guitarists start out learning by 'pattern'. It's seen as a 'fast' way to learn, because if you learn one fingering you can suddenly play it in all keys. That's a huge advantage for improvising, so I teach the pentatonic scale that way - to get student's feet wet in improvising.

The downside is that every scale will have its own patterns. That's a lot to remember... one pattern for each scale, with one new fingering for each position. But if you know the notes, and if you know the major scale for the key you're in, playing any scale is as simple as finding the differences. It seems like slower going in the beginning, but you'll really pick up steam after a while.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member

I'd recommend to stick Noteboat's tip. At the beginning I overlooked it, but now I think it is one of the best tips that answers this frequent question.
At least I will print it for me.

ReplyQuote