Clear all

"Standard" strumming patterns

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@hanging-chord)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I saw a piece of sheet music that said near the top "Strum pattern: 3".

I wasn't sure exactly what that was, so I went searching, and came away more confused than ever.

Some sites seem to reference a "strumming pattern 3" as if it were consistent, but they don't agree with each other. For others, their listed "strumming pattern 3" is clearly just the 3rd pattern in the sequence they are teaching you. One forum even had a post that said there is really no such thing as a "standard" (accepted) set of strumming patterns.

Which makes me wonder why such notation was on the sheet music.

Does such a standard exist, and if so, can someone point me to a definitive reference?

(@number6)
Estimable Member

I've been playing guitar for 3 1/2 years, and I've seen something like that exactly once. I'd just listen to the recorded version of the song and try to figure out the pattern from that.

Was the piece from a sheet music download site? If so, it might just be a scan from a book, in which case the book should have a bunch of strumming patterns listed somewhere.

The hunger site. Click once a day to give free food.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

There's a series of books. Easy Guitar something-or-other. At the beginning of the book, they show serveral strum patterns, naimg 'em patern 1, pattern 2, so on and so forth. I'm seen the same for picking. Then on the song, they'll show you the chords and you're supposed to use the strum pattern specified at the beginning of the song. Sounds OK sometimes. Sometimes, the songs are just plain a mile off.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@hanging-chord)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Was the piece from a sheet music download site? If so, it might just be a scan from a book, in which case the book should have a bunch of strumming patterns listed somewhere.

Yes, I don't remember the name of the site off the top of my head but I had to download "Scorch" to view it.

If the sheet music is from a book, and the strum ID represents a set of patterns depicted elsewhere in the book, it would be nice if that reference was included in the sheet music download. Otherwise, the notation is pointless and/or confusing. And leads newbies to wonder about the existence of these magical "universal" strum patterns. :?

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

There's a series of books. Easy Guitar something-or-other. At the beginning of the book, they show serveral strum patterns, naimg 'em patern 1, pattern 2, so on and so forth. I'm seen the same for picking. Then on the song, they'll show you the chords and you're supposed to use the strum pattern specified at the beginning of the song. Sounds OK sometimes. Sometimes, the songs are just plain a mile off.

I have a book like that called The Ultimate Guitar Songbook. It has strum and pick patterns on the last two pages. But like the o.p., I looked it up on the web, and found conflicting information.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

I'd just listen to the recorded version of the song and try to figure out the pattern from that.

My first post or two had to do with this. I was confused about the difference between how my teacher wrote out a song for me and what I think I hear on the recording. So I'm going with what I hear.

ReplyQuote
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

... I have a book like that called The Ultimate Guitar Songbook...
I ordered that book online about an hour or two ago. What do you think of it?

Ron ...

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I have a book like that called The Ultimate Guitar Songbook. It has strum and pick patterns on the last two pages. But like the o.p., I looked it up on the web, and found conflicting information.

Finding correct or consistent tabs, chord sheets or even sheet music is a major pain in the buttocks. dozens of tab sites may all carry the tab for a song, but it's copied from some posting someone made abut 10 years ago. If he gets it wrong, they all get it wrong. And then, the easy books may transpose the song into a different key or replace some hard chords with easier ones. Heck, even books can be off. What you said about going with what you hear is good advice.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

... I have a book like that called The Ultimate Guitar Songbook...
I ordered that book online about an hour or two ago. What do you think of it?

Ron ...

It's OK for the price. You can probably glean some stuff out of it. It's broken into sections: Guitar Recorded Versions, Easy Guitar with Note and Tab, Easy Guitar, Chord Melody Guitar, Classical Guitar, Fingerstyle Guitar, Guitar Riffs, Strum and Pick Patterns, Guitar Notation Legend. The transcriptions towards the back are not extensive. For example, Sunshine of Your Love is a tab of the intro... that's all. It's good for "taking a bite" out of a song and getting started.

ReplyQuote