Clear all

Strumming a slash chord with a pick

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Ok. I always have some beginners questions to bring you folks. When I play in fingerstyle I play these 'slash chord' (ie D/F·, G/B) altogether with the thumb playing the bass note. What about using a pick? which is the best way: to play the chord altogether or first I should play the bass and then rest of the chord?

cheers

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

It's all down to context, really - if the song's built on arpeggiated chords, then it'd be natural to arpeggiate the "slash" chords, too. But if it's rapidly strummed chords all the way, then treat the slash chords the same way.

99 times out of 100, I'll play a D chord as 200232 - I much prefer it to the thinner sounding xx0232. And whichever way you play it, it's a D chord - you're still playing D, F# and A notes. I don't think of them as "slash" chords, or inversions - the only time I look at them differently is when the bass note's something that doesn't naturally appear in the chord, ie D/C or Am/G.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

the only time I look at them differently is when the bass note's something that doesn't naturally appear in the chord, ie D/C or Am/G.

Good point Vic..and this is my main question: when you play a song full of chromatic bass notes do you strum all the chord at once or do you play the bass alone and then the rest of the chord? (for instance thos Beatles songs like Lucy in the Sky or Dear Prudence).

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

For those two, and others like "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away," bass note and arpeggio - for something like "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" which is G, Am/G, F, D/F# I'd play the whole chord at once.

:D :D :D

Vi/C

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks again ol' Vic !!

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I think Fretsource or Noteboat or both explained this some time ago (sorry if it was explained by another teacher). Really the chord is the same, you only are modifying the bass note. I understood you can also consider they chords as a kind of inversion since you are changing the bass note (usually the root note is the lower one).

If you are strumming, these chords sound fuller, as Vic said. If you are using a pick, you can play the bass note with it and to use your fingers for the treble strings. It depends on the sound you want.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

BTW, Roberto, Justin Sandercoe has upload a video on slash chords 30 minutes ago!

I didn't watch it, perhaps it helps you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwzajmQZP28

ReplyQuote
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Vale Nuno !!! :)

Thanks a lot for the tips !!

ReplyQuote