Clear all

standing

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@jeremyd)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

i wonder why is it different to play standing as opposed to sitting .

(@jminor)
Estimable Member

it usually has to do with where the guitar is positioned in relation to your arms/shoulders... If you wear a guitar strap and keep the guitar above your lap (ie. the weight is supported by the strap), when you are sitting, it shouldn't feel any different.
Apart from the obvious other physical differences between sitting and standing, of course.

J

Insert random quote here

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

3 years ago I stood. Fast-forward to today, I'm either on the recliner with my feet up or at my desk with my feet up. I'm pretty sure that I would have to re-learn playing position if I stood up again, which I will need to do if I'm ever gonna do an open mic.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

rparker, are you saying you recline when you play? yikes. that is one bad habit.
I sit most times. the neck is right up near my face; I can bend over the neck and see everything easily.
it is a good position for study.

finding a good standing position took years of strap adjusting.
when I was a young dude hanging the guitar low ,I thought, not only looked cool but was the standard manner.
I could play for sht so it didnt matter.
but now I find that the neck should be higher up. I chinched up the strap and hold my guitar at a slight angle.
it feels similar to my sitting position, yet it doesnt hang so high ...like an old man's pants with the belt around his chest.

moving with the guitar when standing is something to. we're talking presence.
I saw a tape of myself once. I was swaying, the neck waving side to side in front of me.
it looked soooo 'Archie' dorky.
now I do the front to back rocking thing. it looks much better.
I dont understand how those really low hangers can play the guitar. the wrist angle is too severe.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

rparker, are you saying you recline when you play? yikes. that is one bad habit.

Yup, that it is. Very comfy though. Give it a try! :lol:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

rparker - No problem going to an open mic night - just load your La-Z-Boy in your truck and take it to the show! Call yourself the armchair guitarist! :lol: :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I've done more playing reclined than any other way. I'm often sitting in the back office waiting on students and residents to come tell me what they're doing, and I play while I"m waiting.

It's a tough job, but it's got to be done.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@nirvgas)
Estimable Member

It's a tough job, but it's got to be done.

:lol: How true!! It is nice to kick the feet up and do some noodling now and then. 8)

Life is my friend
Rake it up to take it in
Wrap me in your cinnamon
Especially in Michigan
...well I could be your friend- RHCP

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

rparker - No problem going to an open mic night - just load your La-Z-Boy in your truck and take it to the show! Call yourself the armchair guitarist! :lol: :lol:

Hey, that's got a ring to it.....

Roy

ReplyQuote