Skip to content
Started playing at ...

Notifications
Clear all

Started playing at 20 and have no ear, am I doomed?

20 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

Aah, thanks Mahal, I had a feeling I was associating it with the wrong guy!

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Wow, a difficult post to answer . . . . in that basically you're asking what you should do with your life.
I'll be blunt and give you my opinion but keep in mind that I'm retired from teaching Chemistry . . . and took up playing the guitar less than two years ago . . . as a leisure activity . . .and because it was a whole new facet in my life.
If you want financial security go with what you have been blessed with . . . and from your post that seems to be a knack for math and logic. That screams engineering and/or computer programming or at the very least IT training.
(President Obama in one of his recent speeches says the US is in need of engineers and scientists. I feel this is an area that is going to be outsourced to fill the void . . . . in short, we need geeks)
Having said that, I am disturbed by your failure with pursuing the engineering track and then again at the community college. That shows a lack of discipline . . . not a good sign at all . . . for any field you choose.
From what I've gathered, making a career in the music industry is very risky.
Making music as a past time and for recreation is more realistic. There will be less pressure on you and you can enjoy the process . . . instead of depending upon it as a means of supporting yourself.

One of the people on this forum that I would like to hear from is Gnease.
I think what he would have to say . . . would be the best advice you could get from anyone here.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

It'a all about what you want and what you are willing to give up to get there. You can train your ear if not for perfect pitch but relative pitch and there are many free programs you can get via the Internet to do that.

You already said you have a teacher but if you don't liek him look for another, there's no rule that says you have to stick with the same guy.

If you REALLY want to make MUSIC your career then you need to put all of your energy into pursuing that. And thankfully you aren't looking to make a lot of money because the reality is that even if you do become "famous" they'll be a lot of nights eating Ramen noodles just to get by.

Being 20 is not the problem you have many, many years left to get there it's all about your internal drive to make it happen.

You are unique and I don't think anyone can really tell you what to do you have to figure that out for yourself.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

You are unique and I don't think anyone can really tell you what to do you have to figure that out for yourself.

Give the man a cee-gar!

Yep, that's about it. And once you DO sort the road ahead out...you'll start filling in all the potholes with your guitar.

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@preacher)
Estimable Member

Yep, that's about it. And once you DO sort the road ahead out...you'll start filling in all the potholes with your guitar.

Cat

amen to that.

I play the guitar, I taught myself how to play the guitar, which was a bad decision... because I didn't know how to play it, so I was a sh***y teacher. I would never have went to me. -Mitch Hedberg

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2