Clear all

Steel Strings on my Classical Guitar?

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@folkgreen)
Topic starter  

hi Everyone,

i have a used classical guitar ($100 value), and i want to put steel strings on it (i play folk guitar.) will it harm the guitar (i want to experiment w/ a different sound?)

thanks,
Folkgreen :)

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

A traditionally built classical is not structurally designed to handle the tension of steel strings. One or more of the neck, top. string capstans (posts) and bridge will likely be damaged even with lighter gauge/lower tension steels. Damage might not be apparent immediately-- especially on a less expensive classical, but nasty things would be happening. BTW, you may see steel string guitars that look like classicals and wonder why they can take the tension. These are not classicals, but simply have some classical looking features such as a slotted headstock.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

You'll rip the bridge off. Maybe not right away, but that's the weak point.

String tension varies by scale length, string gauge, and pitch... but as a general rule, a nylon string is under about 14-16 pounds of tension. Multiply that by six strings, and there's about 90 pounds of force pulling the bridge towards the headstock.

Steel strings are under about 23-30 pounds of tension per string for light gauge, and about 26-36 for medium. You'll be putting at about twice as much force on the bridge, or more.

Steel string guitars are reinforced under the bridge, and the ends of the strings are actually held by that reinforcing plate. Much of the strain from string tension is transferred to the internal bracing of the guitar, so the whole box of the body shares in the load. Classical guitars don't have a reinforcing plate under the bridge, and the string ends are held by the bridge tie block... so the entire strain is taken by the glue joint that holds the bridge to the guitar.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member

In other words...bad. :)

"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it, that's a technical term." - SRV

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member

In other words...bad. :)

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
 hh83
(@hh83)
Trusted Member

seen the neck snap in the transition to the headstock as well.
(no truss rod)
dont do it.

Never call a shovel "an ingenious hole-digging instrument"

ReplyQuote
(@folkgreen)
Topic starter  

thanks...points well taken. i'll just purchase a steel string Traveler's guitar. thanks again :)

ReplyQuote
(@folkgreen)
Topic starter  

thanks...points well taken. i'll just purchase a steel string Traveler's guitar. thanks again :)

ReplyQuote