Clear all

Strange technique

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@rush2112)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I've been doing this thing I have no idea what it is. I just want to know what its called. It's hard to describe though and I can't record sounds onto my computer.
Sometimes when I play (This only works on an electric, on clean channel for me) I pick the strings in a strange way. I rest the outside of my fingernail, close to the base, on the string and push down through it fast. The result is a muffled note combined with a loud percussive effect, like CLICK. It makes the guitar sound like that chinese or japanese instrument that I've never seen but you hear it in movie soundtracks sometimes.
If anybody has any idea what the heck I'm doing I'd like to know. :?:

"You know, it eez possible to be too attractive." - Pepe le Pew

"Be excellent to each other, and party on dudes." - Bill and Ted

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Pinch harmonics? Google it!

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

I cant say what it is you're doing but it doesnt sound like pinch harmonics to me....

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

See if you can post a clip somewhere......

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@rush2112)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I've never heard of pinch harmonics, i'm only a beginner and musical sounding words like harmonics are scary and make me want to hide under the kitchen sink.

"You know, it eez possible to be too attractive." - Pepe le Pew

"Be excellent to each other, and party on dudes." - Bill and Ted

ReplyQuote
(@hairballxavier)
Estimable Member

I've always made pinch harmonics by touching the strings with one of my fingernails when I pick. This sounds like what you may be doing.

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

The result is a muffled note combined with a loud percussive effect, like CLICK

Pinch harmonics ring high, they're not muffled and have no percussive effect... so this is definatly not what you are doing. Go get yourself a 1/4 inch male to 1/8 inch male converter and another patch cord. Hook this up to the headphone jack on your amp and into the microphone on your soundcard to record a clip of it for us so we can get a better idea of exactly what you're talking about.

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@hairballxavier)
Estimable Member

Maybe yer hitting the pickups with your pick or pushing the strings into them.

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Are you using a pick or your fingernail only?

ReplyQuote