Help with "Wild Nights"

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Went to my guitar lesson last Friday and my teacher had a new song for me to learn. Luckly I think I got the point across to him that he's moving a bit to fast for me with one song a week.

Anyways, this week it is Wild Nights by Van Morrison. I can play the beginning bass line pretty well but when I try to play the other part it is SO difficult and I am getting so discouraged.

Here is the part I am working on:

I am on the G part where you start shuffling? your fingers on the third string. The sound I am making is horrible. Very buzzy.. Doesnt song like the song at all.. So I tried to just playing the first note and it isnt good either. When I do try to shuffle my finger, my wrist starts cramping.

I am getting pretty discouraged. Any tips on how to play this section or how to correct what I am doing wrong>

Thanks
Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

take it VERY SLOW build up speed later. No point getting discouraged it'll happen eventually.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Cant take it any slower than just playing the first note, over and over.. heh But thanks for the support and comment. I do feel better this morning. I eventually switched back to one of the other songs that I am learning with him and worked on it for a while. After much needed rest I feel a whole lot better.

I know in a few weeks I am gonna look back and this and wonder what my problem was but right now I dont know how I can make that chord without it twisting my wrist off.

Would be much nicer to just play the easy stuff but then I would never get any better.

Thanks again A&L

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

That G riff involves going from an E shape to an A shape barre chord. If you're playing an E shaped barre chord (barre index finger on the third fret, middle finger is on the fourth fret, pinky and ring finger on the fifth fret), then you can simply flatten out your ring finger, essentially partially barring the fifth fret, to get the notes you need. This is something that you'll find in a lot of songs.

It's also possible to do this particular one in open position. If you play a regular G chord, then you'd switch between that and Gsus 4 (the easiest fingering being XX0013). If you fret your G chord without using your index finger (pinky on the high E, middle finger on the A and ring finger on the low E), then it's a very simple matter to add your index finger to the C note at the first fret of the B, which is the same note as the fifth fret of the G, which is is the one you're trying to get.

Hope that wasn't as confusing as it sounds...

Peace

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

THANKS David

I bet it wont be confusing once I am sitting at home with my guitar in hand. I will give that a shot. One thing I was playing around with last night was trying to figure out the source of my buzzing off sound. It is my ring finger touching the third string that is suppose to be doing all the action.

I knew I'd get support and assistance from you guys.

Jim

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

This song really has stressed me to no end and I have actually played my guitar less this week than the last 5 weeks that I have had it. Mostly cause when I pick it up I know I should be practicing this song so I do and it sounds horrible, so I set it back down.

BUT then I may have has a spark of genious with part of the song. My teacher has written it out for me to play the first two chords as an Em. Sounds pretty much right but I could not change from an Em to

X79987

chord fast enough. But then I noticed..or maybe my untrained ear decieve me.. that when I strum down the X79987 chord sounds like that Em he told me to play as a normal 022000. Then for the next 4 chords I just upstrum and I never have to change chords.

Did that make sense, am I correct, or have I Just gone insanely MAD to the point of getting a keyboard and specializing in Michael Jackson tunes? YOU be the judge.

Either way.. I am seriously thinking of asking him to move on to a different song Friday cause I am really burnt on this one.

Thanks for the rant.

Move along

Jim

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Geoo that X79987 is in fact an Em it's just the barre form of it. I'm not familiar with the song your trying to play but I suspect your instructor is making you learn barre chords.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Well, I thought it sounded the same. Glad I am not going crazy, much. If I could just get that other part down I could play this thing. But when he has tabbed out for me doesn't sound like the song..

Thanks for all the help and quick responses A&L

Jim

ReplyQuote
(@jonnyt)
Reputable Member

Maybe you should try the John Mellencamp version of the song.

WILD NIGHTS – John Mellencamp
ADDITION MADE FOR
BASS INTRO: SOLO PERFORMANCE

G |---|-------------|-------------|-------------| Em | G | Em | G...
D |---|-5-----------|-5-----------|-5-----------|
A |---|---7-5---5---|---7-5-------|---7-5-------|
E |-0-|-------7---0-|-------7-5-3-|-------7-5-3-|

VERSE 1:

Em G
AS YOU BRUSH YOUR SHOES, AND STAND BEFORE YOUR MIRROR
Em G
AND YOU COMB YOUR HAIR, GRAB YOUR COAT AND HAT
Em G
AND YOU WALK THE STREETS, TRYING TO RE-MEMBER
C D NC G ' '''' mute
ALL THOSE WILD NIGHTS BREEZE, THROUGH YOUR MIND

PRE-CHORUS & CHORUS:

NC Em C
AND EVERY-THING LOOKS SO COM-PLETE,
Em C
WHEN YOU'RE WALKING DOWN ON THE STREETS
Em C D
AND THE WIND, CATCHES YOUR FEET, SENDS YOU FLYING, CRYING

Em C D Em D G ' '''' mute
OOH_____ OOH_____ WEE WILD NIGHT, IS CALLIN'

VERSE 2:

Em G
ALL THE GIRLS WALK BY, DRESSED UP FOR EACH OTHER
Em G
AND THE BOYS DO THE BOOGIE WOOGIE, ON THE CORNER OF THE STREET
Em G
AND THE PEOPLE PASSING BY, JUST STARE WITH WILD WONDER, YEAH
C D G ' '''' mute
AND IN-SIDE THE JUKE BOX ROARS_ JUST LIKE THUNDER

PRE-CHORUS & CHORUS

BRIDGE: | Em | G | Em | G | Em | G |

VERSE 3:

Em G Em G
WILD_______ NIGHT IS CALLING. THE WILD_______ NIGHT, IS CALLING.
Em
COME ON OUT AND DANCE, COME ON OUT AND DANCE
G
COME ON OUT AND MAKE ROMANCE
Em
COME OUT AND DANCE, COME ON OUT AND DANCE
G
COME ON OUT AND MAKE ROMANCE

PRE-CHORUS & CHORUS:

Em C
AND EVERY-THING LOOKS SO COM-PLETE,
Em C
WHEN YOU'RE WALKING OUT ON THE STREETS
Em C D
AND THE WIND, CATCHES YOUR FEET, SENDS YOU FLYING, CRYING

Em C D Em D G

Em C D Em D G ' '''' mute

Here you are strumming full chords that you are probably already familar with.

E doesn't = MC2, E = Fb

Music "Theory"? "It's not just a theory, it's the way it is!"

Jonny T.

ReplyQuote