Strat style or tele? your thoughts...

15 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@jazzmanbr)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi everyone,
Looking at buying my 2nd guitar. I own an Ibanez artcore AM73T. There are 2 guitars I've played that I really like:

Ibanez GRX40 metallic red (strat style obviously)
Squier telecaster in a really cool blue

The Ibanez has rosewood fretboard and the Squier a maple. They both play so well and are only $20 difference, the Ibanez being less.

Any thots, opinions? I know it's mychoice and I've read all the posts on using the different models for different styles, etc. Just wondered if anybody wanted to pause and reflect upon the 2 styles.

Thanks everyone!

Keep groovin!

Bert

To Do Is To Be -- Socrates
To Be Is To Do -- Plato
Do Be Do Be Do -- Sinatra

To Do Is To Be -- Socrates
To Be Is To Do -- Plato
Do Be Do Be Do -- Sinatra

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Unfortunately I'm a BOTH kind of guy 8)

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Though tonally distinctive (a good thing), a Tele works surprisingly well for a variety of musical styles. If, as suggested by your moniker, you intend to use it for some jazz, the Tele neck pup will serve up some tasty tones. If it feels right to you, you will never regret owning a Tele.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@vempyre)
Trusted Member

some people prefer telecasters over strats because of the placement of the volume knob and the pickup switch... though it all comes down to personal preference really.

like what gnease said.... if it feels right, nobody can tell you otherwise..

ReplyQuote
(@rsadler)
Reputable Member

Squier is a decent first guitar, but for a second I'd look at somethng else, unless it's a money issue.

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

I don't play an electric, but if I did it would be a Tele, simply because Joe Strummer played one.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@waltaja)
Estimable Member

i own two tele's. a fender nashville tele deluxe and a 1996 mim fender tele with a strat p/u in the neck. hands down the 2 best guitars i have ever owned. with a little bit of tweaking in your amp you can get a wide wide variety of sounds.

"I got a woman, stay drunk all the time!"

-Led Zeppelin-

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

rsadler has a good point, for about $350 you can get a new tele, or a strat, the real deal 8) 8) Thats probally about $100 or so more than the Squier, but money well spent :!: --the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@alasken)
Eminent Member

I have a Fender Tele Nashville Deluxe as well.....loving it.......you gotta try the guitars yourself though, and find out what's the best for you..... Good luck ;)

ReplyQuote
 Lori
(@lori)

I just purchased a Fender Standard Fat Strat for $439.00 (paid $40.00 extra for the Sunburst finish) and I am loving it. I bought it on the advice of musician friends and also read the reviews.

ReplyQuote
(@jimscafe)
Estimable Member

I have tried both Tele and Strat in the shops and in general the Tele seems to have a higher action than the strat, is there a reason for this or is this just coincidence (seen it on three or four guitars)?

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Hey jimscafe, I think it depends on the setup. Iv'e played teles that have had very low action. If you buy it from a store they should do the set up for you

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

I have tried both Tele and Strat in the shops and in general the Tele seems to have a higher action than the strat, is there a reason for this or is this just coincidence (seen it on three or four guitars)?

When shopping you shouldn't worry about the setup and action too much, those are easily adjusted to your tastes. Listen to tone, how the neck, body, and the controls feel in your hands. And I second everyone's thoughs on the Tele. I've played one through a blues junior. Had Guitar Center not been so packed I'ed have stayed longer than 10 minutes.

As much as I liked it's tone, I'ed definately want to see how it overdrives before I bought it.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@ebuchednezzar)
Trusted Member

I have that exact Ibanez GRX40 you said you played, and I love it. Has a sweeter sound than other electrics i've heard, probably not the best for darker tones or metal, but sounds awesome clean or with light distortion.

"There's no easy ways man," he said. "You gotta learn the hard parts for yourself."

ReplyQuote
(@abbottcl)

I too am a BOTH kinda guy. But I must admit that the Tele gets more play time than the strat. Just a personal thing.

And I also agree with whomever said it already, if you are going to buy your second guitar, save a little longer and do better than the Squier. You can get a good one but they are few and far between. The mexi strats and teles are hit and miss too, but are a better instrument.

Whatever you do though, you really do have to buy by your own taste and judgement. Happy hunting!

ReplyQuote