Stretch question (again)

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@mikehull)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I just have two questions lol

right now, i can stretch over frets 2, 3, 4 and upto 5, using fingers 1 and 3.

Will there come a time where i might stretch further?

AND

The more i practice the stretch, will this help with finger 4 for holding down the string?

(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

right now, i can stretch over frets 2, 3, 4 and upto 5, using fingers 1 and 3. Will there come a time where i might stretch further?

Unless you have big hands and are only just getting used to stretching your fingers out to play, I wouldn't hope to get them to go further (I can make the the 2 - 5 stretch and have been able to for over a year, but haven't gotten any further as my fingers are just not longer than that).

The more i practice the stretch, will this help with finger 4 for holding down the string?

I would think so, yes. Practicing the stretch will use the muscles in your fingers and hand needed to make the stretch, so there's no difference between practicing this and 'regular' chords.

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@mikehull)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

hi!

thanks for the reply :)

I have small hands too, but have only recently begun stretching.

I guess a 2 - 5 stretch is enough though?

ReplyQuote
 rip
(@rip)
Eminent Member

Stretching will help. Playing will help even more with the pinky being able to hold down notes.

BTW - Your fingers do not have muscles in them. They are only tendons. You should know that tendons take longer to get results from stretching and an injury can/will last considerably longer. Be careful when stretching them. A proper warm-up and cooldown will help with the process.

Cheers,
Rip

Author of "Survivor" - http://www.vaughnripley.com

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

hi all

it takes quite long to make your hand properly strecht (at least for me). A good idea is to train to play power chords with index and pinky instead of index and ring: this way you train your pinky to press the strings and this is helpful when playing a shuffle.

Of course playing some pentatonic scales or fingering exercise for a few minutes at the beginning of the session is a good idea too

Matteo

ReplyQuote
(@mikehull)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

hi all

it takes quite long to make your hand properly strecht (at least for me). A good idea is to train to play power chords with index and pinky instead of index and ring: this way you train your pinky to press the strings and this is helpful when playing a shuffle.

Of course playing some pentatonic scales or fingering exercise for a few minutes at the beginning of the session is a good idea too

Matteo

I do both of those already :)

ReplyQuote