Clear all

string change?

37 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@tim-shull)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

first time changing strings, should i take it in or do it myself ?.. any pointers would be great..

Cash is cool

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

first time changing strings, should i take it in or do it myself ?.. any pointers would be great..
Try it yourself.

There is some info on changing strings on my site below

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@tim-shull)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

thanks for the link . i will give it shot

Cash is cool

ReplyQuote
(@bford)
Reputable Member

Most definately do it yourself. It will help you get to know your guitar better. Don't get in a rush. Get a string winder if you haven't already. Not necessary but it does speed up the winding process a bit. And for sure use Nils' site for assistance. Great resource.
Now. Go get "intimate" with your guitar. :D

Treat others how you would like to be treated.

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

If it's an electric intonate it while your at it. Check Nils site for the info. If it's a floating bridge shim it with a credit card before taking the strings off.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

This is something you are going to want to do for yourself.

There are numerous sites that will teach you how to change strings. Some even have short videos. D'addario's website has one. Martin Guitars website has one.

Lots of different ideas on how but the basic underlying tenet of good string changes is:

make the windings neat. It should NOT look like a ball of twine the cat plays with. Something like that will make your guitar impossibly difficult to keep in tune.

Word to the wise. Be careful when cliping strings, they will prick you and you will bleed. Watch your eyes too. Hold on to the end that is loose.

The first time might take you 40 minutes.. maybe even an hour. Take your time. After a dozen or so changes you'll be doing it in 15 minutes.

MIke

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@tim-shull)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the tips, i will take my time and shoot for a clean windings. i will let you know..... that F chord sure is easier with my 5 string.....

Cash is cool

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

and while you have the strings removed take the time to clean the places you cant reach when the strings are on.

get used to changing strings. if you play often it will be every week. :shock:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@jtrundl)

Nils, good little website you got there mate....
Following on from my earlier thread, I used restringing option 2 'Locks string on the post a little better ' - do you think I should switch to option 3 for a foolproof restringing? (ie. with no twang?!)
Cheers in advance

There's only 1 Freddie Flintoff!

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Nils, good little website you got there mate....
Following on from my earlier thread, I used restringing option 2 'Locks string on the post a little better ' - do you think I should switch to option 3 for a foolproof restringing? (ie. with no twang?!)
Cheers in advance

Thanks

Option 2 should be good enough. The goal is to get the strings as flat as possible on the posts working your way down the post so it maintains tune. The only time I use option 3 is if the strings tend to slip a lot.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@nolongerme)
Honorable Member

Whats a string winder?

i change my own strings but sometimes they are wrapped a little funny on the tuning pegs. also where can i get some new bridge pins?
thanx

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

String winders

The same site as above will also have bridge pins but you can get them at any guitar store and the same goes for the winders.

You want to get the strings as flat on the posts as possible working from the hole down. And no more than 3 winds. If not you will have tuning problems.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@tim-shull)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

ok so home with the strings and bam i break the high e ..looked like two windings to me :oops: .. man do i feel stupid back to the store i go...

Cash is cool

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

ok so home with the strings and bam i break the high e ..looked like two windings to me :oops: .. man do i feel stupid back to the store i go...
Oops, sorry to hear that but most people do that the first time. But now you have learned a valuable lesson. Until you get a feel for the right amount of string to save for windings don't rely on the amount of turns to determine when you are close to in tune.

Make sure you go up slow while watching your tuner if you get to tune and only have 2 or less windings back off and pull the string out to get a little more slack and try again.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

I can go one better than that. First time I changed strings I managed to break the low E. :shock: :P Listen to Nils.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3