Clear all

String changes

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@oldiron)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I put a set of Elixir strings on my guitar a while back and now I'm wondering how to tell when they need to be changed. I've always used Gibsons on my banjo and would change them when they started to get dull looking and rough to the touch. The Elixirs have been on the guitar for six or eight weeks now and they are still smooth, nice and shiny. If there has been any loss of tone I haven't noticed.

Opinions?

I think I'll get some Elixirs for the banjo.

I may be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride. (Jerry Garcea)

(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member

If the strings are still good then leave them on. I usually go several weeks without changing the strings. Eventually i see that they don't sound very well and look kind of awful so I spent some time and change them.

"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it, that's a technical term." - SRV

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I wipe my strings after I play, so they don't dull very quickly. Elixirs almost never dull. The only way I can tell they've lost it is when the intonation goes out.

ReplyQuote
(@tucker)
Estimable Member

You'll know when they need changing, your ears will tell you.

ReplyQuote
(@oldiron)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys. I'll check the intonation a little more often. I'm still enough of a beginner that I'm mainly playing open position so I'll make it a point to check the intonation about once a week. I was just wondering because I'm not used to strings that will go for a couple months without getting nasty.

I may be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride. (Jerry Garcea)

ReplyQuote