Skip to content
Medium gauge string...

Notifications
Clear all

Medium gauge strings pulling bridge up...

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@opeth)
Topic starter  

I have an Ibanez GSA60. Every time I put some medium strings on it the bridge gets pulled way up. It's hard to tune because the bridge goes up and down according to how much tension is on it. Is there any way to fix this?

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

It's a problem that all guitars with vibrato units (tremolo, whammy bar, whatever else comes to mind) have to live with. The unit is simply a pivot, one side of which is held in place by the tension of the strings and and the other by springs, which are to be found in a cutout on the back of the guitar.

I can't see the guitar so I can't say whether you could balance out the extra tension from the heavier strings by adjusting the bar that holds the springs to the body or whether you ar going to need to add another spring.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@opeth)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the help. At least I have a starting point now. I wasn't really sure why it was happening.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Ibanez's little product manual actually has a useful instruction & picture for the various tremelo systems. My Rg320 came with an extra spring. Don't know if yours does. I stuck with the 9's on mine, but did have to tighten the tension a bit to be able to tune it. It was a breeze.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@opeth)
Topic starter  

My guitar did come with an extra spring but I cant find the binder that I put it in along with with that booklet and everything. My friend is gonna give me his extra, so hopefully it isn't incompatible or something. I did try adjusting the springs so that they would fit tighter but the bridge is still sticking half way up.

Anybody know if there are any problems with putting in a spring that didn't come with the guitar? I wouldn't think so, but this is the first time I've had to do anything with my guitar since I started playing a year and a half ago.

ReplyQuote