Clear all

Band Audition, Need Some Help

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@guitarpunk)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I Have Been Asked to come down for an audition to try out for a local band where I live, And i was wondering since im not that great at the guitar yet, is there anything i could play at the audition that might help my chances. or is there a certain way i should prepare for it?? Any Help?

xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

well, one thing i can think of is to make sure your equipment is in good working order. Another thing is to play a song that you can play really well, even if it isn't the hardest thing you know.

ReplyQuote
(@guitarpunk)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Do you maybe have a song that would be really easy to learn that i could play next week, cause right now i can just play small parts of only a few songs like a song called whips and chains, like i said im very much a beginner i really cant play well but id really like to be in this band cause i think that if im in this band it will help me learn new things and become a better guitarist altogether...and another thing, should i just play till they say stop or just play a few things and be done??

ReplyQuote
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member

I'd say you should play your songs, and say when you're done, unless they tell you otherwise. By no means drag it out.

Dude, say what songs you know bits and pieces of, to give us an idea of what you can play. I'd say learn as much of those as possible, instead of anything new, and make it a point of telling them beforehand that you are dedicated, and that you know you could improve a lot if you were in their band. Don't put yourself down, just let them know what you come to the table with.

Then, with those songs, if you can't learn a whole one by yourself, just say you're playing a medley, to show your range. (and then arrange it so that you can segue into a different song when you've come to the end of what you can play on one song)

Good luck, rock out, and don't forget to plug your guitar in first :P

-Rodya

Henry Garza, Saul Hudson, and Darrell Abbott could not be here tonight, but they all had sex and are proud to announce the birth of their two-headed baby, Rodya S. Thompson.

- Paraphrased from the Tenacious D series

ReplyQuote
(@dayzd)
Estimable Member

What sorta music do they play?

Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung

-----------------------

<--=-.._DayZd_..-=-->

ReplyQuote
(@guitarpunk)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

well it turns out they wanted me to have my audition a few days earlier so i went in on sat. the 22nd and i ended up making it into the band because the other guitarist they were gonna have is too big in the drug deal so they picked me...but anyways they play hard rock, since they are just getting started they havent made any kinda music yet but they want the music to sound something like adema or dope or breaking benjamin. so something along those lines....but thanx for the help anyways guys im sure ill need some help in the near future with techniques and stuff where im not that good yet.....thanx

Kody

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Congrats!

For future reference, it's a good idea to ask for a short list of songs that the band usually plays, so you can learn one or two and play with them. You're not just showing off your chops, you're seeing if you play well together.

If the band says "Play whatever," be aware that they may not have their act together yet.

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

In my (somewhat limited) experience, bands have been much more interested in availability and dedication than they have in pure playing skill. Of course this is less true for a more organized endeavor, like a 12 piece jazz band or something of that nature, but when you're talking about a rock trio, it's very appealing to get someone who will practice with the band 3 times a week, help with the web page, is willing to work on doing backup vocals and be happy about it.

Of course, there has to be SOME level of competency, no amount of dedication to a band is going to make up for someone not able to stay in time, or who sings off key, but you get the idea.

An amazing player who will only spend 30 minutes a week with the band is useless to me, and can't even really be considered for the group, the dedicated guy at least gets a chance, to see if he can make some notable improvements...

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member

Congrats on making the band.

"because the other guitarist they were gonna have is too big in the drug deal so they picked me" --- :lol: :lol:

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

ReplyQuote