Clear all

Barre Chords/Bm

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@lawdude)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi all. I am currently trying to learn a song that includes the chord Bm. This is the first time I have attempted to learn any barre chords. I've tried some of the other Bm fingerings without the barre, but it doesn't quite sound right in the context of this song. Any tips on forming Bm or barre chords in general would be helpful. I almost can sound the chord, but it is really tough. My index finger also seems to be getting a callous on the side of the knuckle and across the middle bone. Is that normal?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
Lawdude

Ever notice that the world "listen" contains the same letters as "silent"?

(@geetar66)
Estimable Member

Have you managed to lock down any other barre chords? the formation of the Bmin is the same as the Fmaj..but in a different position...they are both "E formation" barre chords...if you've tackled the Fmaj, then Bmin should be real close

Meet me tonight in Atlantic City

ReplyQuote
(@lawdude)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

No, I haven't locked down any other barre chords yet. Frankly, I haven't really come across a song I wanted to play with one. I suspect that if I get Bm down, I shouldn't have too much difficulty with F major. ;-)

I guess my question goes to general advice in regard to forming barre chords at all. I want to make sure my technique is right. Maybe there is an article on the correct mechanics someone can refer me to?

Thanks in advance.
Lawdude

ReplyQuote
(@sjt1316)
Trusted Member

My first guess is that your thumb is too high on the back of the neck. Moving it down (closer to the thin strings) will give you better strength/pressure when you actually barre the strings.

--Steve
If you're enjoying it, are you still a struggling artist??
D~~n the man, save the Empire!

ReplyQuote
(@lawdude)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

My first guess is that your thumb is too high on the back of the neck.

That's a good tip. Thank you. I think my thumb probably has been too high. At least that's something to focus on when I practice.

ReplyQuote
(@geetar66)
Estimable Member

Yeah, bottom line is that if you want to grow as a guitarist and leaqrn new songs...there is no way around learning the barre chords...I'd say spend some time each practice just on the Fmaj and Bmin...when you open up the barre chords a whole world of songs is yours for the learning...

Good luck!

:)

Meet me tonight in Atlantic City

ReplyQuote