String Recommendations?

16 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hil all!

I'm puting together my Christmas List, and I want to include guitar strings. They are a nice as a relatively inexpensive gift thatI would get much more use out of than some gaudy-looking necktie. Since I am still somewhat new to playing I've only tried out a few different brands so far and would like to experiment with opthers. Anyone have any recommendations for good brands for either electric or acoustic?

So far I've used Martins, Fenders, and Im told my new acoustic I just bought is fitted with Elixrs. I generally use light gauge. My backup acoustic I use extra light because it has a slight crack where the neck joins the body and so I want to minimize tension on the neck.

Thanks

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

You will probably get a lot of recommendations like Elixir (on the high end) and D'Adarrios, Ernie Ball, DR, etc.

If you really want to experiment don't tell them a brand just tell them the size. Like 9's or 10's for electric and 12's for acoustic.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@djbouch)
Eminent Member

Check out this guy's acoustic string review. I tried most of the strings reviewed there and realy like the Dean Markley Blue steel ones.

http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~desmith/guitar/acoustic/info/strings.htm

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

DR strings are great.

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, DJ, for the link. I've been to that site before but somehow I miseed seeing those reviews until you pointed them ot. It's just what I was looking for. Now, does anyone have any good recommendations for electric strings?

Regards,

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

I highly recomend Dean Markley's Alchemy line for an accoustic. I use them and have been very satisfied with the tone, feel, and durability.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I like GHS Boomers - I'm currently using 9-42's, but considering a move up to 10-46's.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

GHS Boomer's 10's and 11's here and Dean Markley Blue Steels on the acoustic.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@guitar-dude)

I use Ernie Ball 10's. I'm really not sure about what to use on an acoustic guitar, though.

Duuuuude!

ReplyQuote
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks; I think I'll try some of those GHS Boomers. I now use light strings, so wou;d that be the 10's?

Regards,

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@guitar-dude)

light strings are like 8s or 9s

Duuuuude!

ReplyQuote
(@phburks)

Sorry I don't know much about electric strings, but for acoustic my favorites so far are D'Addario - light guage. they come in a blue package. They sound great, and for a decent amount of time. And they are HALF the price of Elixirs. I like the sound of Elixirs, but if you break a string, that's like $3 bucks gone. If you have the $ to spare, that's different.

Phillip

ReplyQuote
 Emma
(@emma)

I'm ashamed to say that I just discovered this website and I love it...Have been taking lessons all day long...Just love it....

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

I put D'Addario's 10's on my SG to brighten up the dark pickups a bit, but DR blues or Fender pure nickle strings on my Tele to mellow out some of the edge. I really like the sound of the nickle stings with the single coils.
On the Tele I like 9's, but I think I've settled on 10's to tighten up some of the slack and reduce my tendency toward unintended bends.

Haven't settled on anything for the p90/jazzmaster. I need to find something that reinforces the high e a bit, I thought the D'addarios would do it, but it still sounds thin... may need a pickup change.

ReplyQuote
(@woodenkings)

good day-i have been playing webstrings on all my guitars for 4 years and i can not tell the difference from all the others i have used. to check these strings out go to: http://www.webstrings.com/ and oh yea-i do not work for them. i live in Texas and really like these strings and the price! good luck.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2