Notifications
Clear all

Guitar Question

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@blksheep)
Topic starter  

Hey all...i'm new to this forum and have some quick questions about guitars. I decided that i wanted to learn acoustic guitar and was looking at getting the Yamaha Deluxe Gigmaker. I haven't found too much info/reviews about this package, so i was wondering if anyone has used or dealt with it?

I have prior music experience in piano and percussion instruments (15 + years). Basically, I want to just jam around..nothing too serious.

So, is it worth getting a package, based upon my prior music knowledge, or should i just buy a guitar and tuner etc? The Yamaha seems like a pretty good deal and i don't have huge expectations (I wouldn't be dissapointed if I had to get a better guitar in a year or two).

Any help would be appreciated..Thanks

(@snoogans775)
Reputable Member

there's a million packages out there, Yamaha's is good, but a few other entry level guitars are Johnson, Montana, and Ibanez acoustics are a bit of a step-up, but they make a great beginners package.

I suggest a package, you already get the tuner, which you'll want, unless you want to tune to your piano, which isn't a hassle, I do it myself

I don't follow my dreams, I just ask em' where they're going and catch up with them later.
-Mitch Hedburg
Did you see that!

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Hey Blksheep, welcome to guitarnoise! I can't really say anything without a price range... but Art&Lutherie make some great guitars for around 200-300 dollars I think...

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@rsadler)
Reputable Member

I have that exact guitar. It was my first guitar, before moving on to electric. I still use it now and then late at night when I don't feel like dragging everything out and waking up the wife. It's a good beginner setup. For the price it's not bad at all. You get a tuner, gig bag, instructional dvd, picks..pretty much everything you need to get started playing. It was even set up pretty good straight from the dealer. Although it is just that.. a beginners guitar. If you think you might stick with it, you might think about spending a little more and getting something better. I know someday I'll replace mine and get a good Martin or Taylor, but it served it's purpose. I really can't say anythng bad about mine. It's just what I expected for the price

ReplyQuote
(@david-m1)
Estimable Member

I have a Yamaha FG04 LTD, it has solid engelmann top with rosewood backs and sides. You can pick one up around 299, check at guitar center.

This is probably a step up from the guitar that comes in the starter pack. I'm pleased with my Yamaha, I've thought about buying a more expensive guitar but for the money, I just cant justify it at this time. I think as a beginner the biggest improvement in sound or tone can be found in the hands of the person holding the guitar.

I think you would do well to buy the best guitar you can, which may not be found in a starter pack. Guitar???.. elec tuner 25 dollars... nice padded gig bag 40 dollars.... stand 20 dollars... hanfull of picks 3 dollars and your ready to go.

Good luck......

ReplyQuote