Notifications
Clear all

what type of acoustic

13 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@sliker92)
Topic starter  

what type of acoustic should i buy? I haven't played guitar before but I want to learn acoustic and I want a guitar that can last me for awhile even when I get better... any help?

(@j-rock)
Estimable Member

I just started playing a few months ago. I borrowed my uncle's classical ( nylon strings ) and even that was pretty hard on the fingers when I first started. Now that my fingers have started to callous up I'm looking at getting a steel string. I've tried a steel string a few times and I can see why there are so many posts on here complaining about sore fingers. Starting with nylon might be the way to go.

I can look back with a smile, knowing that my ambition far exceeded my talent.

ReplyQuote
(@joe-momma)
Trusted Member

It depends on what style you want to play, but dont worry about playing a steel strung guitar, plain just lets you know your alive.

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Sliker

Well, most people will tell you the same thing - if you're going to buy an accoustic, try and NOT buy a real beginners guitar. All too often these have laminated tops (get a solid top, definitely) and a really high action (this means you will have to press hard to get the strings down to the frets properly).

No one will recommend a brand as its personal thing. But look for -

Solid Top
Steel Strings (unless you really want to start on nylon, but most people go over to steel anyway eventually)
Low action

Most guitar shops treat beginners pretty well - they know that you are a potential source of income for the future. So get in there and ask their advice, based on my 3 criteria above.

I will break with tradition here and say that Yamaha make some excellent budget entry guitars that fulfil these criteria. Other makes are just as good, but Yamaha tend to have consistency.

Good luck and let us know what you end up buying eh?

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

For a few brands, take a look at Seagull, Fender DG-22s or 25s, Washburn models that end in SW, (Solid Wood) or S (Solid Top)

You really need to get out and listen to them.

ReplyQuote
(@pcparrothead)
Eminent Member

with my experience...
ask the sales clerk to play several guitars.

even if they are not in your range...have them play the $2k and $3k guitars (just so you know what a "quality" guitar sounds like)
maybe even ask them which is thier favorite in the shop - and why it is thier favorite.

then go to your MAX price range and have them play several
go with the one that you think sounds the best.

make sure you save a few bucks back for a decent case too!!!
I was just going to get a gig bag. wifey talked me into a hard case.
good thing we did!!! the 19lb cat loves to sit on the case!!! imagine if it was just a gig bag!!!

and as mentioned before...
look for solid top (most likely will be solid top if you are around $300...even tho some in the range will be plywood)
look for a low action
even if the action is not low. ask how much they would charge for a "setup". (when you change strings you might have to have a setup anyway - if you change to lighter or heavier gauge strings)

As a beginner...I would recomend using light gauge strings. Extra light sounds to "thin" to me...but Mediums can be VERY hard to fret for a new player. (I am still a beginner and have tried mediums - it takes ALOT of the fun out of it)

find the ONE guitar that you are the most serious about.
ask them if they will put a new set of strings on it and let you hear it. (it WILL make a difference)

hope this helps

by the way...I have a Sigma DM1-st (sigma is korean made Martin)
I got the guitar, martin 8 ply hard case, a beginner book, and 2 lessons all for $325 after tax. I believe I got a VERY GOOD deal. but I have been very happy with the guitar. I have had several people say it was very nice once they picked it up and started playing with it.

ReplyQuote
(@sliker92)
Topic starter  

thanks a lot for the help guys..

so i can always upgrade the strings on my guitar from light to medium correct?

ReplyQuote
(@pcparrothead)
Eminent Member

thanks a lot for the help guys..

so i can always upgrade the strings on my guitar from light to medium correct?

yes.
but when you do...expect to have to do a "setup"
medium strings put more tension on the neck...so a truss rod adjustment will be needed
and you might need to adjust the action some

I had local shop do action and neck adjustment for the cost of a set of Elixer strings. I had a set of Elixers already in my case when they did the adjustment.

but you could expect a basic adjustment to probably be around $20

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I still play medium lights. If you don't need to go to medium you don't. It isn't really an upgrade, just a change.

ReplyQuote
(@grafphoto)
Eminent Member

All too often these have laminated tops (get a solid top, definitely) and a really high action (this means you will have to press hard to get the strings down to the frets properly).

OK, perhaps stupid questions, but -

1) How to tell the difference between a 'laminated' and solid?
2) What is considered high action vs. what should be optimal?

~mark

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

A guitar should say on its tag, or on a sticker somewhere whether the top is laminated or solid. The seller should know if it doesn't say.

ReplyQuote
(@sliker92)
Topic starter  

any websites or types of guitars that i should take a look at?

what about an electric acoustic guitar?

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

http://www.musiciansfriend.com
http://www.music123.com

You're probably going to want a regular dreadnought accoustic guitar, with a cutaway if you can get it.

And accoustic-electrics can somtimes sound not so hot unplugged, so try them both ways. The advantage there is that you don't need to buy an amp right away and in the future you're setup for gigs and band practices/jams.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote