Stringing a Guitar.

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey Guys

I am trying to replace the old strings from my yamaha F310 (acoustic). Now as soon as I try to tighten the pegs, the pin from the bridge pops out. Am I doing something wrong or maybe I need new set of pins as well?

Ay advise is appreciated.

Cheers

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

(@olive)
Estimable Member

Make sure that the ball end of the string is not getting caught on the end of the bridge pin. I put a slight bend in the string near the ball to ensure that the string seats on the underside of the bridge.

Take a look at this article by Alan Horvath on stringing your guitar for some tips and tricks.

"My ex-boyfriend can't tell me I've sold out, because he's in a cult, and he's not allowed to talk to me." --Dar Williams

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Vic

What's happening is that the ball end of the string is not nestling properly in the pin. When you first put the string in the hole, replace the peg then give the string a good pull and you should feel it locate the right place. It won't move if you do this right.

All the best

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

...or your bridge plate could be worn away.

The ball end of the string is supposed to lock on the bridge plate. The pin is only supposed to be a guide to hold it there until you tighten.

If you have worn grooves in that plate, you'll need to get it fixed.

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

The same thing happened to me when I bought ebony bridge pins for my string change just to do something different, so I put my other plastic pins back in. Look at each one to see which one is spread open a little more than the others and use that one for the low E and try to get the others back where they were. Try not to mix things up when you take things apart, things usually go back together better where they were in the first place. If you didn't have a problem before changing springs, I would bet you will be fine if you get things back where they were in the first place.

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thank you, You guys rock, literally and figuratively :)

ReplyQuote
(@greenstuart)
Estimable Member

Thats a smashing guitar you have there as well Vic-I have the same model and wouldn't swap it for anything :)

ReplyQuote
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Cheers greenstuart, I also bought a seagull s6 yesterday.
It's impressive as well.

ReplyQuote