Clear all

Strings

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

How often do you change your strings because they go dead on you? I bought my new guitar on May 12 which is about two months ago and the strings are now dead. Just asking because I was never good about changing the strings on my old guitar that much but I didn't notice that they went dead so fast. These are probably Martin strings as the guitar is a new Martin.

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I change mine when they sound dead. I don't count how much I've used them, they either sound OK or not.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

I think sometimes it is hard to tell exactly when your strings sound dead if you only have one or two guitars. Especially if one is electric and one acoustic. You just keep playing and every time you play, the strings are more used feeling, but it can be such a gradual thing. I think if you are playing that Martin a good bit, 2 months is overtime to change the strings. Even, if you bought the guitar new, how long were the strings on the guitar before you got it? If you are playing gigs, then you should really be changing much more frequently. I don't play gigs, but I use comparisons with my other guitars. If I know I just changed strings on one guitar, then I play each of them (5 guitars). WHen I notice the strings on one are getting dull feeling and playing, then I change them, or at least think about changing them :wink:

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

This topic seems to come up a lot.
I don't mean to sound cruel, but is it really that hard to change strings?

I've only been playing for about 7 months (and not as many hours as I should during that time), and I have changed strings 4 times (including the initial stringing when I took my guitar out of it's 20 year hibernation).

It doesn't take that long, it's not that difficult, and new strings aren't that expensive. It's a good oportunity to give the guitar a good cleaning while the strings are off it, and give it a "once over" to make sure nothing is starting to wear out/fall apart/become loose.

I suppose it's like changing the oil in your car, or replacing furnace filters or any other periodic maintainence chore. Everyone knows they should do it, but so many people just don't get around to it.

sorry for the mini-rant, but my day job has me regularly fixing stuff that wouldn't need fixing if it had been looked after better. This is a common theme among my co-workers.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

I agree with kent.

It depends on how much you play, your body chemistry and hand cleanliness. A good friend of mine is a mechanic and his strings go dead a lot quicker than mine. I personally change the strings at least once a month. Coated strings a little less often, although I use webstrings now, much cheaper in the long run.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I change them after twenty hours of steady hard playing.

otherwise if they sound dead then you waited too long.
if you play or practice about an hour or two per day then once a month would be about right.

sometimes I slack off and change them every two months; Ive got several guitars that I play; I forget the rotation.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

I change mine every month. I used to wait until they sounded bad to me, but by that time they where really really bad. So now it's once a month whether they need it or not. I can't tell how bad they are until I've changed them. I guess playing every day my ear gets used to how they sound. :?

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I change mine when one breaks - I like the tone I get from old, heavy strings :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

i don't mind the mini-rant. i was actually just wondering how often other people do it.

ReplyQuote