Clear all

Strings for my Yamaha

11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@nephidoc)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I've been playing my Yamaha FG423 for about a year now. I've been using Martin SP lights. I just don't seem to get a nice rich tone... I'm sure it's partly a technique thing but would other strings be preferable? Thanks for the help.

Stan

(@waltaja)
Estimable Member

i personally think lighter strings give you a thinner tone. i stepped up to .12's on my washburn acoustic and it fattened things up a bit. you could try puttin' on heavier strings, but if you go to heavy you may have to get your guitar setup to accomodate things

"I got a woman, stay drunk all the time!"

-Led Zeppelin-

ReplyQuote
 Val
(@val)
Estimable Member

I tried Martin SP lights on my Yamaha FG450 and they sounded tinny. Then I tried D'Addario Phosphor Bronze lights, which produced a warmer tone. However, I wasn't totally happy with the sound and tried Elixir Polyweb custom lights and these are the smoothest, sweetest strings I have ever used. You may find others which are as good or better than Elixir, but I am sure you will notice a big difference if you try these for starters.

ReplyQuote
(@nephidoc)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks so much for you input. I'll give both your suggestions a shot. Now I have to wait for these to wear out... I'm way cheap. Guess I'll have to practice more.

Stan

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

I would have to agree - I am a Yamaha man too, and found the switch to Elixer's gave the guitar a whole new voice.

Try 'em, you'll like 'em!

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@nephidoc)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Oh man!!! I put those new strings on about a week ago and I'm soooo tempted to throw on the Elixers. To you Yamaha people out there..... would a new bridge or bridge pins help with the tone? Thanks for all the good advice.

Stan

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

Oh man!!! I put those new strings on about a week ago and I'm soooo tempted to throw on the Elixers. To you Yamaha people out there..... would a new bridge or bridge pins help with the tone? Thanks for all the good advice.

Stan

I'm not a Yamaha person but I'll give my opinion on the bridge and bridge pins. If they are made of tusq, and they probably are, changing them will not make a discernable difference imho.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@nephidoc)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Tim.

Stan

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I think the problem is probably in the light strings, not the guitar. Try out some more heavyweight Martins, or D'Addario. My preference would be to use Rotosounds because I like the results.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@pitney2000)
Eminent Member

DR strings are what i like to use ..12-54.. coated ...they are really nice on my eppiphone EJ160e...they last really well for me ...i change strings at least once every 6 weeks if im not gigin i may change them ever couple weeks if i am gigin regulary ..and be sure to take your guitar to the shop and have it set up so the action is right ...makes a world of difference especially if you are wanting the warmer sound of the heavier gauge strings...

Play On....

joyce

ReplyQuote
(@nephidoc)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for all your help. You guys are great.

Stan

ReplyQuote