Clear all

Strings?

14 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@jadda918)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Wanted to know if anyone could help recommend some different strings for me. I dont know what strings im currently using but there whatever strings come a new seagull s6. I really dont know what im looking for in strings since i havent played any others. I guess what im saying is i want to gradually try different strings till i find a set that stands out to me.
Don't know if that makes any sense but if it does any suggestions?

oh yeah one thing i dont like is that what im sliding i get this nasty screech sound, i dont know if its me or the strings.

"Life Is Beautiful,
Life Is A Struggle,
Life Is A Beautiful Struggle" - Mos Def

(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

Elixer strings will cure that squeaking for sure. That is my preference of strings.

Many like Martin coated strings. There are others.

I have tried some 3 dollar string sets and took them off a day later. You do get what you pay for.

But guage size is also a factor in buying strings too. You may want to contact Seagull to find out the size they use. You can generally go up or down a size but go too far and that can cause problems. Too heavy and your strings can be too high off the fretboard and too thin can give you buzzing.

If it is your first time changing strings, take your time and go slow tuning it, try to change only one string at a time versus ripping all of them off. Being in a hurry causes us all to break a string tuning back up and when you break an Elixer, you feel it in the wallet.
:D

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Jadda

Before Joesph's advice terrifies you, don't panic. If you take your guitar down to the store, they can measure the guage for you and advise you on replacement.

No one's going to say "use these strings!" as its a personal choice, but your guitar shop should be able to point you in the right direction.

Avoid huge jumps in gauge, it will effect the action and playability of the guitar. In other words, if its got mediums on it, don't go to heavy or ultra light.

Elixer
Martin SP'S

Are worth trying, but like I say, personal preference!

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member

Strings are personal choice things. Some people like this or that brand for whatever reason. It comes down to trying a set of strings and deciding they sound best to you.

"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it, that's a technical term." - SRV

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

Jadda

Before Joesph's advice terrifies you, don't panic.

Matt

"But gauge size is also a factor in buying strings too. You may want to contact Seagull to find out the size they use. You can generally go up or down a size but go too far and that can cause problems. Too heavy and your strings can be too high off the fretboard and too thin can give you buzzing." ................Terrifying. :evil:

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@jbehar)
Trusted Member

If you go to the Seagull website

http://www.seagullguitars.com/strings.htm

There is a complete chart of recommended strings for all their models.

Brand is up to you but stick close to the gauges

I use DaAddario EJ16's they sound fine and last me about a month

Your mileage may vary

ReplyQuote
(@thectrain)
Estimable Member

I like D' Addario strings less tinny then some other strings, but I buy the store brand ones cause they are half the price and are exactly the same.(only difference is they mess up the colors on the end).

ReplyQuote
(@kevtrane)

Do you guys also like the Elixirs for Electric? I have been using the Ernie Ball 10's in the Lime Package but as I put new strings on last night I was wondering about trying something new. I am having Elixirs put on my acoustic (its at the shop). Do the coated strings work as well for Electric.

Also just to show the improvement I'm making, I've been playing for just over a year and last night it only took me 2 hours and 8 strings to restring my Strat. And luckily I broke different strings then the last time so I didn't have to open a new set again :? .

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Do you guys also like the Elixirs for Electric? I have been using the Ernie Ball 10's in the Lime Package but as I put new strings on last night I was wondering about trying something new. I am having Elixirs put on my acoustic (its at the shop). Do the coated strings work as well for Electric.

Also just to show the improvement I'm making, I've been playing for just over a year and last night it only took me 2 hours and 8 strings to restring my Strat. And luckily I broke different strings then the last time so I didn't have to open a new set again :? .

How are so many strings breaking?

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I haven't broken 8 strings in my entire life! I think that you need to get someone to have a look at the guitar and/or your stringing technique.

I use Martin Bronze 12-54 on my Seagull S6 Folk and I've just got 12 sets off ebay for exactly half what I would pay in the shops.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

I think he only broke two. :?: :?:

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@kevtrane)

I think he only broke two

Yeah if you do the math it works out to 2. Which I am by no means proud of. Here is why. First, the Strat has a Floyd Rose, which is not an excuse but helps muddy the water. Second, I pulled all 6 strings off and then put them all back it was hard to find the tuning on a chromatic tuner, it would say 4G, 5B, 3A etc but not the string I was on and I couldn't find it, I'de go tighter and tighter then looser, looking for it. Eventually when I did find it, I was sure the string was going to break again. A buddy of mine at work suggested pulling em off 1 at a time so it was easier to tune, seems like it makes sense to me. But then again :?

ReplyQuote
(@cmaracz)
Reputable Member

Try the one at a time tehcnique. I've never done it that way but it's always recommended. Also, when in doubt, loosen to no tension, as in almsot completely. If you have a string winder, it's easy to tune up from there again. Otherwise you're at 5B tuning up to 6E and realize that you've already gone passed it, snap. Just tune down, and tune up again, saves strings rather than finding the note when you really have no idea where you are. Also, they're your strings, and it's your time, don't appologize to the people here for breaking two strings and taking two hours to restring a guitar, you're the guy who lsot two strings and two hours restringing your guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@dcarroll)
Reputable Member

If you see these strings called John Pearse (sp?) they have a picture of some old guy on the package. I think there really good strings for accoustic...nice tone.

-Dustin

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote